The best keeps getting better

xcortes · 9015

Offline Grainger49

Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 02:54:26 AM
Aaron,

The silver band, cathode, goes to ground.  Otherwise you end up with a reverse biased diode and no current will pass.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 12:25:42 PM
Thank you sir! I'll have this mod along with the PS choke finished shortly.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paully

Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 04:11:18 PM
All right, guess I am going to have to bite and put a choke in the Eros.  I put the triad choke in my Paramounts and liked the difference.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 07:31:18 PM
Hello Xavier,

There are power supply dropping resistors in the Repro, but we have found with the quality of the shunt regulated power supply, the impact of using chokes in these positions is quite minimal.

As an experiment, you can remove the leads from the choke in your Eros and put the resistor back, the observe the changes.

Upgrading from the Repro involves a form factor change, hence the gigantic new Tube Phonos floating around (and maybe even a giant 300B preamp of similar ilk).

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 04:19:29 AM

As an experiment, you can remove the leads from the choke in your Eros and put the resistor back, the observe the changes.

I have done this twice now, I waited until I had a good grasp on the sound signature of the Eros. I used three different sources, and in the end I prefer it with the choke. The change was subtle so I don't think I can either quantify or qualify the difference, I just liked the sound better with the choke installed. I think I might have to give the led bias a try, though the amp sounds darn good as is.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore