Good USB Audio Cable

AudioDave · 6941

Offline AudioDave

on: March 16, 2012, 11:17:34 AM
In preparation for the Bottlehead DAC kit I have slowly been assembling my system.  One item that I do not have is a good USB cable.  I have seen mention of 2 or 3 different brands in various threads here on the forum but they all appear rather pricey and was wondering what everyones preference is.  I may have to start saving up for a cable!
Thanks!
Dave

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 07:16:46 PM
Dave, I just picked up an Audioquest USB cable, they have a line of them, I purchased the lowest end,(called green or Forest). It is a 6' cable and I am using to attach a ssd to my squeezebox. It is well built and I paid $38.00 for it from a company called Vanns, through Amazon. I am not sure if it is better than other cables but it does it's job.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline AudioDave

Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 03:06:32 AM
Thanks Shawn,  I will take a look at them.  That is more in line with my price range for sure.
Dave

Online denti alligator

Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 07:15:49 AM
I've often wondered about digital cables. Don't they just need to transmit 1s and 0s? Wouldn't that mean that the cable either does this or doesn't? How can the cable play a role in making these 1s and 0s "better" or "worse"?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Paully

Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 07:26:02 AM
"Don't they just need to transmit 1s and 0s?"

I was stunned when I upgraded the cable between my DAC and transport.  I would have blamed everything else for the bad sound if I hadn't.  I bought a $2-300 cable and really was amazed at the difference it made so apparently they do a bit more than one might expect.

Online denti alligator

Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 02:09:35 PM
Well, I'd love to hear the difference for myself. I only wish someone could explain the science.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 07:17:45 PM
Don't they just need to transmit 1s and 0s? Wouldn't that mean that the cable either does this or doesn't? How can the cable play a role in making these 1s and 0s "better" or "worse"?

As I've seen it explained, it isn't the 1s and 0s that is the issue.  It is the error rejection rate and re-reads that create time delays which sound bad.  Like a form of jitter.  Things get misaligned just a bit.  We can hear things that are misaligned in time very easily it turns out.  So think about it in terms of time, not just 1s and 0s.

John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 08:46:58 PM
Personally, I have noticed an improvement in sq using good quality cables, I am not talking about $500 ICs, $2000 power cords and so on. Just good quality well built cable. I have no scientific "proof" of the difference in cables although I have thought about it often. So I decided to just trust my observations. Something has come to mind though, when we are talking about audio signals we are dealing with the movement and behavior of sub atomic particles, and there is quite bit that we don't know or understand about this subject. Quantum mechanics tells us that the place that these particles reside is a very strange place. Maybe there is something we don't know or understand yet that would explain the physics behind the difference in cable construction and design. Or, maybe it is just placebo, if so, then Mr. Placebo and I ironically have the same taste in sound signature and quality. Just a few thoughts.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline dgb

Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 10:17:50 AM
blue jeans cable also a good source (http://bluejeanscable.com/)

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 08:46:14 AM
Dave,

I've been through my fair share of usb cables and my standard, go-to cables are the Wireworld UltraViolet and Starlight -- the starlight is the pricier and more capable cable but the UV is also extremely good for a good bit less money.  Overall though I still prefer my DB Audio Labs Essential (standard, not plus version), which is just a bit more refined than the Starlight.

BTW, all of these cables got a noticeable bump in sonics with a cryo treatment too.

Of course there are not the Silver Starlight and the Platinum Starlight, but we're getting pretty expensive now and I have never heard these so can't tell you if they are worth the extra cash or not.

Gordon Rankin originally said that because of his asynch implementation that the usb cable was not very important and he included a Belken Gold with his dacs.  Now he recommends the WW Starlight.

Also, because of the very consistent impedance of the wireworld cables and their superior internal construction and shielding, they are available up to 7 meters long, where the max spec for usb is 5 meters.  And yes, I've owned a couple of the 7 meter cables and had no problems with them even with 24/192 files.

HTH,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Lee Hankins

Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 11:33:52 AM
Dave, my first upgrade cable was the Wireworld Starlight, definitely an improvement over the run of the mill stock cables.  I later purchased an Locus Design Group Polestar cable (I believe the last one sold), and it was also an improvement over the Starlight but just not as radical an improvement as the Starlight was over the stock cable.  I could live with just the Starlight.   

Lee Hankins
"End of the Road"
Homer, Alaska

Offline AudioDave

Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 12:29:13 AM
Thanks for all your replies and comments,  I will definitely look into the Wireworld cables.
Dave