The Quickie is better than you think.

corndog71 · 13100

Offline madbrayniak

Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 11:15:04 AM
I am actually going to be piping it through my yamaha rx-v863 but ill but putting it in pure direct mode so that it acts just as an amp it will in effect be doing about 105watts per channel.

that is if I understood the "pure direct" mode correctly...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 01:26:22 PM by madbrayniak »

Offline matthewmckay

Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 05:44:05 PM
I don't think it'll bypass the preamp section of the integrated in pure-direct mode... probably just not do the additional processing / upmixing and leave it as 2-channel... kind of misleading.  I have used the quickie with an onkyo integrated before and found it to be a worthwhile improvement to the integrated alone. (with ipod/laptop as my source)

Offline Chris

Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 12:32:24 AM
"It may seem silly to put $110 worth of caps into a $135 preamp", understandable what you are saying, but think of the Quickie as actually at least a $700 or more DHT OTL pre (from a manufactured company), and your $110 caps become the wise and prudent investment that they are.... :)

Offline corndog71

Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 04:42:57 AM
Looking over your receiver specs I have to agree with Matt.  You can't bypass the preamp section of the receiver.  You need a separate amp with the Quickie.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline madbrayniak

Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 06:30:45 AM
Thanks guys. I'll be ordering a quickie this afternoon most likely even tho I can't take full advantage of it in the way I am going to use it.... I just need a new project and I'll just build amps next to take full advantage of it

I am planing to build some speakers and amps as well....specifically for music....amps for movies come later.....thinking a Pass X5 clone for movies or one from classDaudio.com and a stereomour or F5 for music
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 07:33:25 AM by madbrayniak »

Offline corndog71

Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 07:43:13 AM
Bottlehead is great for low powered tube amps but if you need more power and want to build it yourself then I would suggest these:

http://classdaudio.com/amplifier-kits-1/complete-amplifiers-kits.html

I have the SDS-258 and for the money it's a steal.

edit: oops, I forgot you already mentioned you were considering them.

Rob

Offline madbrayniak

Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 12:46:53 PM
Bottlehead is great for low powered tube amps but if you need more power and want to build it yourself then I would suggest these:

http://classdaudio.com/amplifier-kits-1/complete-amplifiers-kits.html

I have the SDS-258 and for the money it's a steal.

edit: oops, I forgot you already mentioned you were considering them.

How do you like them sonically?  my main problem with them is that when i do a search for reviews I get class d amps from all different manufacturers....

Offline corndog71

Reply #22 on: March 14, 2012, 03:16:50 PM
How do you like them sonically?  my main problem with them is that when i do a search for reviews I get class d amps from all different manufacturers....

The company I linked to is the one I recommend.  I have no experience with other class d amps.  I tweaked the power supply of mine a little.  There's a really long thread on audiocircle.com that shows numerous builds and tweaks.  It's under cheap and cheerful.  Mine is in there too.

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi576.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fss207%2Fcorndog642%2Fclassdaudio%2520amp%2Fb711d1b1.jpg&hash=2754fb42b7007ad8f2cf910705f78191e9ba84b5)

As for the sound, I've been consistently impressed with it.  It runs just a bit on the warmer side of neutral but doesn't spare detail or dynamics.  It's very easy to listen to for hours with no fatigue.  And it mates really well with my Quickie.

Rob

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #23 on: March 14, 2012, 06:07:43 PM
Hey Rob - Nice job with the Class D amp build! I was real tempted to buy from them but I ended up with the Emotiva. I have read good things about the Class D Audio amps. I built a high power (200wpc) class t amp from 41hz, but it was a bit too complex with surface mounts and all. It didnt end up working.

I was pleased with how good the stock Quickie sounds when I subbed it back into my system today. I was working on my modded one at the time. The sound was very good just not as refined as with boutique parts. I think the logic of why one would spend $150 on caps and expensive resistors etc. on a $99 preamp is that you get more bang for the buck the farther up the audio chain you go. A preamp is pretty far up there. Fun stuff! Thinking about bypassing my Elna electrolytics. Any thoughts on that?

Eric

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline madbrayniak

Reply #24 on: March 14, 2012, 09:56:34 PM
I like the Class D you show.  The funny thing about the classdaudio.com stuff and class D in general is that I have read that when mounted in a wood case it sounds better....not sure why but i have run accross it in a few places.

I think the ClassDaudio.com amps though are perfect for home theater use as I honestly dont understand the need for AB or A for those purposes....for music yes...HT...not so much.

I think the ClassDaudio.com amps will be my next project.  Like I said I have been looking at them for a long time now and amps were one of the next things on my list.  either the speakers or the amps.....

My goal, since I can only have one system....is to have two seperate loops connected to the same speakers.  have a TT and Cd player/DAC connected to quickie going to Pass F5 or Bottlehead amps to speakers for music....split it somehow to get the subs in there as well....

Then for HT have a processor to amps to same speakers....

I plan to handle the subs by getting to sound best with the quickie and then simply adjust in the processor or receiver to accomodate for the gain I have to put on the subs in my other line.....

P.s. sorry i kind of hijacked your thread.  I liked that you had such good results with the quickie and it all went downhill with questions and comments by myself

Offline corndog71

Reply #25 on: March 15, 2012, 04:20:44 AM
My goal, since I can only have one system....is to have two seperate loops connected to the same speakers.  have a TT and Cd player/DAC connected to quickie going to Pass F5 or Bottlehead amps to speakers for music....split it somehow to get the subs in there as well....

Then for HT have a processor to amps to same speakers....

I plan to handle the subs by getting to sound best with the quickie and then simply adjust in the processor or receiver to accomodate for the gain I have to put on the subs in my other line.....

P.s. sorry i kind of hijacked your thread.  I liked that you had such good results with the quickie and it all went downhill with questions and comments by myself

Good luck with having 2 systems share speakers.  Sounds ambitious.  I keep my 2-channel tube system separate from my HT.  And they're both in the same room!

No worries about the threadjack.  Sharing ideas keeps this hobby interesting and there's always more to learn.

Rob

Offline madbrayniak

Reply #26 on: March 15, 2012, 06:28:17 AM
Unfortunately I don't have another choice. No room in my living room or office for a second system.  I'm sure that if I had floors tandems it wouldn't be an issue..... But I dont