Audio Physic 90db speakers that love weaker amps ?!

zs1962 · 2528

Offline zs1962

on: March 20, 2012, 12:29:24 PM
Hello,
I have AudioPhysic Virgo 3 speakers (4ohm, 90db) that played great with 300B PP 25W mono blocks (icon audio MB25).
After few good years and a fatal transformer failure I returned to a carefully selected SS amp and I am NOT HAPPY AT ALL.

While auditioning few replacement amps at my home, it was clearly noticed that high power amps sounded much worser than their smaller brothers. Weird ... I had it with CROFT 7R and 7 and HEGEL H100 and H70 and finally took the H70. Being it strange and surprising for me, I felt it has something to do with the speakers' spec and response to the amplifier's power/current abilities to drive them. This made me hope that maybe these 90db speakers will work fine with the 3.5W Stereomour (that I just ordered).

I attach the impedance drawing and the specifications and kindly ask you to take a look at the specs and throw some light on what I experienced or maybe make a reasonable guess re what I should expect.
Also, if anybody has the experience driving the Virgos with Stereomour/Paramount or other SE amps, it will be great to have your feedback. I love their look and sound and would like to give them a last chance before we split and I dive into a new (old) speakers adventure.

Any feedback will be most appreciated...

Ze'ev (newcomer to Bottlehead)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 02:29:41 PM by zs1962 »

Offline chard

Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 04:40:29 PM
I play my stereomour at about 2/3 volume with speaker cabinets listed at 99db. Its loud but not too loud. It has excellant bass especially when considering its only a 3 watt amplifier. You may need more efficient speaker cabinets but give your cabinets a try.   

Clifford Hard