#8 round lockwasher discrepancy

gnowl · 2072

Offline gnowl

on: March 28, 2012, 01:17:29 PM
Hi,
I just started assembly on the crack kit, and there is a discrepancy in the number of #8 Round Lockwashers needed.
Attaching the ground lug says to use TWO of these lockwashers.
Then further on instructions say to use ONE of these lockwashers in attaching the transformer.
That's a total of THREE, but parts list only supplied TWO.

So, should I just use one washer on the grounding attachment, and one on the transformer?
Or should I try to get an extra one and follow the instructions to use two on the ground, one on the transformer?
Thanks,
gnowl

Offline Laudanum

Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 02:40:08 PM
Welcome to the club of missing lockwashers :-)
I think that Doc and the gang figured there was no real need for 2 at the ground lug but never updated the manual.  Just a guess as I havent asked but you only need one at the ground lug.  If you happen to have an extra #8 on hand you can use it but 1 is plenty.

Desmond G.

Offline gnowl

Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 11:21:22 AM
Yes, thanks for your reply.  That was my interim solution (one on ground lug, one on transformer), and it will likely be the permanent solution.
Tech support also emailed me back saying that the transformer #8 round lock washer is only needed if the bell is painted.  He said to just steal one from the ground lug if indeed I wanted one on the transformer.

Offline tmiddle

Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 09:53:55 AM
I'm having a similar confusion with the lockwashers and will probably just steal the second one from the ground lug.
Still confused as to why the instructions only call for "one" washer on the transformer  on the corner nearest the ground.
Can someone here explain why this is?

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 10:25:49 AM
You want a good connection to the ground plate but it is better if it is only in one place.  Multiple ground points can cause hum.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie