Crack low frequency hiss [Solved]

x181 · 6611

Offline Laudanum

Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 02:41:06 AM
It seems that the hissing has mostly isolated itself to the right channel and is barely audible in the left channel.  Any ideas what is going on?

My guess would still be one of the tubes, or atleast it's worth a try.  Could be tube rush which could be described as a "hiss".  Does it change intensity when you turn up the volume?  Have you tried shorting plugs yet, to isolate to the Crack and not the source?   Still gotta pick yourself up a couple spares, trust me on this one  ;-)   The Crack amp itself is truly capable of a black background.  After my build, I was really impressed with how quiet it is, even before Speedball.   The guys and gals on the forum will help you get it there.

Desmond G.

Offline x181

Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 05:27:00 PM
<bump for update>

Offline Nick Tam

• "Crack on Crack"
Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 05:50:06 PM
try nudging the wires abit. It solved my hiss when the wires broke off, quite literally

Bottlehead Crack

Source: Fostex HP-A4
Cans: Sennheiser HD700
Sylvania GB6080 + Sylvania VT-231

Offline Grainger49

Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 09:54:43 PM
I have just read through the thread.  Did you try a different pair of tubes.  Tube noise can come from either tube.  It was suggested several times. 

If you can't get rid of noise with the advice from the board you can send it to Bottlehead for repair.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 02:39:05 AM
The thread title has been updated with the word "solved".  So, I assume the OP bumped the thread to indicate that. 

It may be helpful to others to indicate what was done to solve the issue but regardless, glad that it's working quietly now.

Desmond G.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #20 on: September 05, 2012, 04:06:17 AM
A-Ha!