Paramount Transformer Upgrade

Gerry E. · 7217

Offline Gerry E.

on: April 23, 2012, 07:38:46 AM
Hi:

I thought I would start a new thread about upgrading the stock transformers in a pair of Paramount 300Bs.  I decided to pull the trigger and purchase the Magnequest BH-5 Full Nickel + BH-7 Plate Choke upgrade set.  I was caught a bit off-guard when Mike wrote that the price is $650/set, not $450 as listed on the Magnequest website.

I
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 10:39:33 AM by Gerry E. »

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 10:47:55 AM
Unless Mike changed it this morning, it shows on my computer as $450 for the M6, $525 for pinstripes, and $650 for nickel core. Any chance you are not looking at the http://www.magnequest.us/ site? I think there are one or two obsolete sites that are still online - at least there were a few years ago.

Yes, the BH-5 is a variant of the TFA-2004Jr. Mike had some proprietary ideas to make it more affordable and improve the sonics at the same time; these particular designs are only available in the Bottlehead upgrade kits. The differences are most audible in the high treble.

Note that the full-size TFA-2004 in nickel is $700/pair without plate choke. The Jr is not currently listed but a batch is is occasionally produced. IIRC the matching BPC choke - no longer listed - went for $450/pair when it was last produced.

Paul Joppa

Offline Steve_in_NV

Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 02:27:35 PM
I paid $650.00 + 20.00 shipping for the same configuration, April 2010

Offline Gerry E.

Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 01:11:33 AM
Thank you Paul and Steve!  When I "google" the name Magnequest, the first link it brings up is www.magnequest.com.  Underneath that are six sub-links including one for "Magnequest Products".  When I select that one, it brings me to here:

http://www.magnequest.com/products.htm

Yes, I see 2008, but I just figured nothing has changed.  Scroll down and you will see the pricing structure I mentioned.  Now that I know the correct price is $650, I realize that the Paramount prices are a mistake.  In the grand scheme of things this is not a big deal and I'm sure they will be worth it.

Gerry     

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 02:32:52 AM
Gerry,

That 2008 product page is the one I bookmarked.  I will bookmark the page PJ posted above.

Well, a closer look tells me that the unusual plate choke specs went away.  They made me laugh.  I guess "GOOD, BETTER, HOLY $HIT" wasn't enough for some buyers
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 01:46:00 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Dr. Beaker

Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 05:36:32 AM
Well that news kinda sucks.  I had just saved up $450 from empty beer bottle deposit returns (10 cents a bottle here in Michigan).  Looks like another 6 months of hard drinking.

If you use Mike's forum on the AA site, there is a link to his product page that also takes you to that old incorrect price list.  I know this internet business is tricky stuff but, it needs to get fixed ASAP.

It did seem that the old price list must have been in error since the Paramount upgrades looked to be cheaper than the Paramour.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 05:39:05 AM by Dr. Beaker »

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 09:58:03 AM
The problem seems more wdespread than I thought. I recommend we all post in the MQ/Bottlehead forum and try to get Mikes attention. Maybe Doc B can move these posts to there?

Paul Joppa

Offline mqracing

Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 05:28:46 PM
Bots... apologies for any confusions. 

The most up to date pricing can be found at www.magnequest.us

the MQ dot com site is woefully out of date.

I do check in here--- I try to check at least once a day---- fire away
any Q's you might have. 

For order inquiries best to send me an email at [email protected]

thanks everyone,

Mike

Offline mqracing

Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 05:32:44 PM

Well that news kinda sucks.  I had just saved up $450 from empty beer bottle deposit returns (10 cents a bottle here in Michigan).  Looks like another 6 months of hard drinking.

Made me smile... thanks.  I could stand a hard drink or two from time to time!!!

Feel free to contact me at [email protected] with any of your iron needs and
I will try to attend to your needs like your cherished bartender.