Dirty Loops

ironbut · 2342

Offline ironbut

on: May 01, 2012, 03:10:56 PM
I stumbled across this band on a bass player site called "No Treble".
They've become a "guilty" pleasure of mine with their videos on YouTube.
Why guilty?
They do covers of folks like Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga! I can't say how DP's versions compare to the originals but I'm thinking that I'll probably never know, but this band is smokin hot!
If you can picture The Yellowjackets backing Stevie Wonder, that should get you in the ballpark.
Or better yet, just check some of their videos out;

!

steve koto

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 02:29:38 AM
Interesting group, Steve.  

In the vein of no treble, how about a group that includes a guy who was in the band with my wife in High School (grad 1976)?  Modern Jazz Tuba Project:

http://www.mjtproject.com/

There is a guitar.  But everything else is bass.  I have one of their CDs, it is odd.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 10:37:58 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline ironbut

Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 09:29:11 AM
Very cool Grainger.
I've seen the band "Howard Johnson and Gravity" a few times and always enjoyed it. Johnson has quite a resume having played with The Band, Gil Evans and with Charles Mingus.
There's nothing like hearing those really low notes live though!

steve koto

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 10:39:33 AM
I always question "live sound."  I heard Jerry Douglas through some large and very loud speakers in a nice small venue.  It wasn't live music to me.

Offline ironbut

Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 07:49:19 AM
The last time I saw "Gravity", they played outside as a roving band without so much as a PA to talk over. I was really close (maybe 10 feet) and could feel those really low notes with my skin!

I can understand your issue with the current state of "live" sound though. It's certainly a double edged sword.
On the one hand, the sound is limited by the quality of the gear/set up and you're at the mercy of the person at the soundboard (and sometimes the musicians demands).
On the other hand, you are "stuck" with the sound of the venue and the musicians who are very often used to singing and/or playing through gear that evens out the levels and dynamics.
Luckily, there are some venues where the owners have a good sense of what they want the place to sound like and go through the expense of having a pro go through and treat the enclosure and install an excellent sound system.
If there ever was a "target audience" for high end audio, the owners of the worlds live music venues should be it!

steve koto