Nexus 7 as source

John EH · 2784

Offline John EH

on: August 13, 2013, 03:06:55 PM
Just got a Nexus 7 and rooted it with CyanogenMod which allows you to hotplug USB devices.   Supported are many USB DAC's. My HiFiMeDIY Sabre USB DAC works without an external USB hub.

Sound was a little flat but you can use DSP equalizer to make it sound like you like.  I use Squeezeplayer and Logitech Squeezebox, or just stream Pandora or MOG.

I'm still a fan of the Raspberry Pi as a source as it is MUCH cheaper but it is pretty cool to have a hacked tablet to use a USB DAC on.

John

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 03:58:45 PM
Ok, John, we love ya and all... Dont be like the hammered Granger. Lets crystallize man. Lots of VERY exciting digital out there these days. We're all, well you know... Bite sized pieces for us old folks!

Personally, I know, its all about me, I fricken dig USB these days. No going back. I 'was' as "Transporter" groupie. Beam me up Scottie and all that. No, USB is there... Anyone want a used Transporter for cheap give me a jingle!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline rif

Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 06:52:59 AM
Is it a gen 1 or 2 nexus 7?  I just got a gen 2 and would love to hear how to do this.

Edit - whoops, just saw you're using cm7, which doesn't interest me. I installed it a couple of years ago on a nook, but have no desire for it on a nexus.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 06:54:35 AM by rif »

-david

Offline John EH

Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 04:48:42 AM
I just got a Nexus 7.2 (2013) and loaded the CyanogenMod nightly build 10.2 with a date of Aug 30.

Plugged in my USB DAC (HiFiMeDIY Sabre USB DAC) and to my surprise it is working perfectly.

John