Description of top plate of paramounts?

Jim R. · 4283

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
on: December 08, 2009, 03:03:37 AM
Can somebody describe the layout of the top plate of the paramount amp for me, and also tell me where the OPT is under the plate in relation to the other parts?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 03:19:23 AM
Jim,

Not a problem.  Assuming Bottlehead standard, transformer is in back, the top plate has (from left to right at the front) the driver tube, the output tube, the hum pot then the power switch.  They are not really lined up of course.

Still from the top, across the back from left to right there is the input RCA jack, the speaker terminals, the power transformer (centered left to right and forward of the other items) and then the IEC connector last on the right.

Of course when you flip it over things are reversed.  The OPT is now on the right and forward of the speaker terminals and RCA jack.  The PC-2 plate choke is opposite the OPT on the far left.  The FC-1 filament choke is dead center at the rear of the chassis.  It is directly behind the power transformer.

Somebody check me, I get right and left swapped all too often.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 08:15:24 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 06:43:25 AM
Grainger,

I thought I had it until you flipped the plate, then you lost me :-).  Is the OPT underneath or on top of the plate?

Anyway, I get the basic idea, which is all I needed.

Appreciate it,

Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 07:40:47 AM
Power trans is on top. Plate choke, output transformer and filament choke are all underneath.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 08:14:37 AM
Hold it, I know what caused the confusion and I have edited my earlier post.  The transformer I mentioned on top was the power transformer, not the OPT.  I edited it to say "Power Transformer."  So, like Doc said, the OPT, plate choke and filament choke are all under as well as the power transformer terminals.

The OPT is mounted on the right, almost centered from front to back, on the underside.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 08:21:39 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 08:19:19 AM
Ok, now I'm clear with everything.  Thanks much both of you,

Jim