Switch box

Guest · 1745

4krow

on: May 22, 2012, 11:50:38 AM
Just can't quit thinkin'...oh well, might as well go with it. My mind never stops, but sometimes thats ok. Here is the thought: I have a switch box that has 5 inputs and one output. Pretty good if your going to use it to add inputs to an integrated amp that has too few. My thought is, using it in reverse, it could also be a comparitor between one 'black box' and another black box. Just to 'horse race' the two, or more without the need to switch connections every time. So, I can hook up a cd player to the OUTPUT of the switch box and the use one of the five inputs to run to different black boxes. Seems obvious to me, but I like to ask first, so I don't to say WHAT WAS I THINKING? later...

P.S. This is assuming that there are enough inputs at the integrated amp end-whew! 

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 02:27:38 PM
Easy enough to test with a multimeter.  As long as it is just a switch you should be OK. 

Set the switch to 1 and check continuity in both directions. Audio is essentially AC so I can't imagine how it wouldn't work just fine.

I have a similar device.   I will check it and tell you what I find.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 02:41:27 PM
OK, I checked mine and found that it only switches the tip of the RCA plug.   All rings are just connected together all the time.   This won't stop it from working the way you want it to, it just might introduce some human and buzz.   

The Foreplay switches both connections for just this reason.   The goldpoint switches do the same.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

4krow

Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 03:14:28 PM
Good point, I hadn't thought of that. Probably it will be ok. This is one way for me to upgrade units and then compare them side by side. Thanks for the help

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 03:30:15 AM
Switching the hot of the cables only is like a FP 1 or FP 2.  To eliminate all possibilities of interactions from sources the FP III switches the grounds and the hots.  It takes a lot more contacts on the switch and a lot more wiring.  In many cases it doesn't make a difference but in enough it does.  That is why it was included in the much improved FP III.

4krow

Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 09:39:49 AM
   I warned you that my mind never stops, and because of that, I added an attenuator to the box. It is a shunt type, but I am ok with that. I am presently using it as intended. It started as an old Niles switchbox, but had some questionable parts in it, so I used up the rest of my stock of good rca jacks for a few of the positions, and now I am 'happy guy'.