A Crack in Florida

patm · 3145

Offline patm

on: June 11, 2012, 03:52:38 AM
Build went well besides the few opertunitys I created for myself. Missed the connection at 13L, probably the hardest to get to after construction. A mistake is only bad if you don't learn from it.(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1161.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq517%2FPatmcsween%2FCrack%2520in%2520the%2520Sun%2F6968fb3f.jpg&hash=7ec2edfbe06604f7bf73c53c65e6c144c2b7224c)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 03:55:48 AM by patm »

In the beginning there was nothing, then it blew up!

FP III, Paramount 300b (Takatsuki TA-300B), both with Mundorf S/O caps, Mikes iron, HFBG Eros,Oppo 103,Rega RP6 2m black ,Vaughn Triode JR II

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 05:36:33 AM
Pat,

Nice!  I haven't seen the badge on the end bell of the power transformer before.  Suiting place for it.

Is the finish silver hammertone?

Offline John Roman

Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 05:48:44 AM
Looks nice, especially the maroon end cap. Nice spot for the logo!
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 06:37:14 AM
Hi Pat,

Glad you got it all figured out.  What did you use to adhere the badge to the transformer cover?  Some sort of high-heat epoxy?  Just curious as I thought about doing this on my stereomour but thought the heat would make short work of the adhesive.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

4krow

Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 06:51:19 AM
Now THERE is an amp I would own! Well done sir. To me, it was your choice of color. Red and Grey are often forgotten as going so well together. The wood base adds the right accent to frame it up.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 08:33:46 AM
Oh no!  My base is already red -- dyed stock alder base -- and I'm trying to get a gray powdercoat top panel, but gold and black are going to be the trim colors.

-- Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline patm

Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 01:32:54 PM
Thank's for the kudo's. The base plate finish is indeed Hammertone Gray. I had a different color in mind for the end bell but was limited to the colors available at Lowes. I do like how it turned out. I was going for a suttle splash of color. The output transformer was lightly sanded and shot with flat black. I cheated on the wood base. I shot it with clear enamel, looks good in the photo but wouldn't stand up to close inspection. Looks great from a few feet away. I just stuck the logo on the painted end bell, no special glue. I did the same on my FP III and Paramounts two years ago and they show no signs of comming loose. I think placing them on the end bell gives the amp an art deco look.

I have a pair of Obbligato 100uf caps ( Granger break-in method ) and a Speedball waiting to go in after I have listened for a while. Also waiting are some tubes to roll. WE 421a,TS 5998, TS 12bh7 and others.

This project was a lot of fun. Giving me something to do while I wait for my Orcas and Subs.

Pat

In the beginning there was nothing, then it blew up!

FP III, Paramount 300b (Takatsuki TA-300B), both with Mundorf S/O caps, Mikes iron, HFBG Eros,Oppo 103,Rega RP6 2m black ,Vaughn Triode JR II

4krow

Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 03:53:35 PM
Now, you said the magic word, fun.  I remember a cartoonist that used to work for Stereo Review. Last name was Rodriquez?, and many of the cartoons were about the neurosis of the average audiophile. In one particular scene, here you have a guy watching a trace on a oscilliscope? mounted on top of each speaker. One trace was very slightly different than the other, but the look on his face was priceless. Let us not go there,,,it's not fun.

Offline wullymc

Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 04:46:59 PM
Beautiful Crack.  A real looker!

Thanks for pointing out your observations and problems.  It helps someone like me that is very novice and currently building my Crack.

Happy listening!

Dave
Project RPM5.1 with 2M Bronze/Graham Slee Era Gold V/Quickie with PJCSS/Paramount 1.1 300B/Woden Valiant

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Current Project:  Beepre!!!

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 04:56:59 PM
Pat,

Thanks for the assurance regarding the badges on the transformer covers.  Still not sure I'll do it on the stereomour as the current plan is to build it as a power amp and the badge could cover the selector or volume pot holes now.

-- Jim