Sophia Electric Princess Carbon 300B tubes

glynnw · 3664

Offline glynnw

on: May 10, 2013, 12:58:36 PM
Just got a great deal on a pair of slightly used Sophia Electric Carbon Princess 300B tubes for my Paramounts.  I have been a big fan of meshplates for years, but today I am changing.  My amps have never sounded better - extremely clear, detailed sound with incredible rendition of tones.  Highly, highly recommended, but at $600 pair new a bit pricey.

PC, J River software, opticaRendu, Schitt Ygg DAC,Tortuga Pre, Torta Radu tube buffer, Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10, Spatial Audio X5w/pair of GR Research dual 12" open baffle servo subwoofers tamed by DSpeaker Dual-Core DSP , Audience AU24 SE  spkr cable, handmade silver interconnects,

Offline Gerry E.

Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 03:06:27 AM
Thanks for your post.  I have been interested in the Sophia 300B carbon series ever since I got my Paramounts but of course their price has been an issue.  The Carbon Princess is in the same price range as the popular EML solid-plate ($555/pair) which I use. 

A test of these two, in a pair of Paramounts, would make for a most interesting comparison.  There may not be a clear cut "winner" as it may come down to system synergy and/or personal preference.

Gerry       

Offline Gerry E.

Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 01:46:44 AM
At about the same time that I wrote my post above, a pair of Sophia Royal Princess 300Bs appeared on Audiogon for a semi-sane price.  After a little negotiation, the seller and I agreed on a deal.  I figured this might be my only chance to hear the RPs in my system.  They are scheduled to be delivered today.  I'll report on the comparison to the EMLs within the next week.

Gerry   

Offline glynnw

Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 05:31:01 AM
Any word on the comparison?

PC, J River software, opticaRendu, Schitt Ygg DAC,Tortuga Pre, Torta Radu tube buffer, Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10, Spatial Audio X5w/pair of GR Research dual 12" open baffle servo subwoofers tamed by DSpeaker Dual-Core DSP , Audience AU24 SE  spkr cable, handmade silver interconnects,

Offline Gerry E.

Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 11:36:06 AM
Hi:

I can only give a preliminary assessment because at the same time the tubes arrived, I sold my TOTL Marantz SACD player.  Until I get a replacement, I'm currently using an inexpensive Toshiba DVD player as a digital source component.

Even with the DVD player, I can tell that the Sophia Royal Princess 300Bs are special.  The best way I can describe it is that they have a super-smooth sound that reminds me of 1950s vintage WE 300Bs that I heard a number of years ago.  Also, female vocals, sound-staging and both frequency extremes are outstanding.

Auditory memory is problematically unreliable but having said that, the Sophia RP 300Bs + cheap DVD Player doesn't sound that much different than EML 300Bs + Marantz SACD Player.  Now, I'm not saying that the Sophia RP 300Bs transformed a $60 DVD Player into a $6K SACD player but the overall sound is a lot closer than I would have thought.

This reminds me of the few times that I hung out with some top DIY amp builder's in the NY Metro area.  They would have these incredibly elaborate tube systems, giant horns speakers and the digital source was always a cheap CD player.

Getting back on track, if the Sophia RP 300Bs sound this good with a cheap DVD player, it will be very interesting to hear how they sound with a better digital playback system.  I'll post an update when that happens.

Gerry

P.S. I heard back from the guy who sold me the RP 300Bs.  He ended up getting another 300B amp and was wondering what I thought of the tubes.  I think he wished that I would sell them back to him.