ODAC Crack

norneslo · 4105

Offline norneslo

on: May 27, 2012, 09:42:45 AM
I got the JDS ODAC PCB yesterday, and got RCA's soldiered on after lunch.  It sounds nice so far, probably a killer DAC for the price.  Anyhow, with it's incredibly small form factor, I'm going to consider mounting the DAC right on the Crack cabinet, or inside.  I would consider hard wiring the inputs to it, but I still like to swap cables to the input from my Turntable from time to time.  Anyhow, pretty cool option for the Crack, you could just run USB to the Crack and have a sweet DAC/AMP combo.

Ron Olsen

Offline BNAL

Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 07:36:02 PM
This sounds like a very interesting DAC at a reasonable price.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 10:01:54 AM
I got the JDS ODAC PCB yesterday, and got RCA's soldiered on after lunch.  It sounds nice so far, probably a killer DAC for the price.  Anyhow, with it's incredibly small form factor, I'm going to consider mounting the DAC right on the Crack cabinet, or inside.  I would consider hard wiring the inputs to it, but I still like to swap cables to the input from my Turntable from time to time.  Anyhow, pretty cool option for the Crack, you could just run USB to the Crack and have a sweet DAC/AMP combo.

Keep us updated. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion of the sound over time.

Offline wullymc

Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 04:48:35 PM
Just received my standalone ODAC.  Really a nice piece of equipment!  I am enjoying listening to it.  Very revealing.  Better than my old DAC/AMP combo - Monitor 02.  Now just have to finish my Crack!

Dave
Project RPM5.1 with 2M Bronze/Graham Slee Era Gold V/Quickie with PJCSS/Paramount 1.1 300B/Woden Valiant

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Current Project:  Beepre!!!

Offline norneslo

Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 03:04:43 PM
My listening impressions so far, well, ODAC is now my DAC.  I've completely quit using my Audio-gd Fun which is a WM8471 based DAC.  The Fun is very close, but I find the ODAC to have a bit more low end and a clearer high end.  My chain is now PC to ODAC to Crack to HD-650.  It's a great setup.  When I travel I listen to an Ipod Touch and Shure SE-215's, which aren't half bad, until you get home!

Ron Olsen