No value when measuring between busses and T1 and T5

mortron · 2142

Offline mortron

Just finished up (or so i thought) my Quickie. I looked over my solder joints, and they all appear to be good. Not beautiful, but good, flowing and all that jazz. Unfortunately when I measure between the black busses between RCA lugs, and the T1 and T5 positions, i get no reading, no matter where the volume is set. Any suggestions on troubleshooting? Thanks

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 08:39:16 AM
Ok, first check resistance from any of the RCA jacks' outer connections and the top or bottom right hand lugs on the volume pot.  The right hand RCA jacks go to the bottom volume pot right hand lug.  The left hand RCA jacks go to the top volume pot right hand lug.  This should be zero.  If not the problem is with the ground wire.

Then check from the metal tab, not the solder lug, on the center lug of the volume pot to the top side part of T1 and T5.  This is to verify that the wire is soldered well on both ends by not touching the solder joints.  Somewhere here you have an open circuit.

Offline mortron

Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 04:49:23 AM
I did it... Got 0 on all of them, using the spots you said, not the solder tabs... Well actually i get 00.4 or 00.3 when i have it set to 200 ohm... i believe this is ok, and just a matter of the meter needing to settle or is this a serious problem? It actually gives me 00.3 when i touch the probes together.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 05:48:05 AM
Then measure directly from the right hand lug to the center lug of the volume pot with the pot set at 12:00.  Measure both the bottom and top channels of the pot.  From your first post this should read open on both channels.

Offline mortron

Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 11:43:08 AM
Sorry, by open, you mean showing no connection? I get nothing on the meter when set to 200 ohm's unless i touch the probes directly. Should it not read about 50 ohm? I dunno much. Is there a fault with the pot or?

Not sure if it was clear, so I should clarify... In the original post I mean, I get no value on T1 and T5 when measuring for VOLTAGE (which is the first of the checks upon completing the wiring). Sorry I am an idiot. Then again, it sounds like there is a problem here?

Offline jmv

Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 11:52:08 AM
According to page 32 of my Quickie manual, the reading at T1 and T5 should 0 V (or close to that).  So if you're not getting voltage there, you should be good.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 12:37:35 PM
mortron,

Yes, open is no connection/infinite resistance.  And you are right, I thought you were reading resistance where "no value" sounds like open/infinite resistance.

Offline mortron

Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 12:39:39 PM
According to Page 32 of my manual, I am not wasting your time. It's working. My little Radio Shack Minimus 18's are being driven by the Quickie into a Denon POA 2400 amp... Agnostic Front is sounding good on these single drivers :)

Now I need to tend to those 3S4 chimes  ;)

Thanks Grainger... you're tops.