xcortes · 2155

Offline xcortes

on: June 30, 2012, 12:07:46 PM
Is the amount I'm bidding on a certain ebay item. A couple of tequilas and mobile internet auction at a wedding is a dangerous cocktail.

Xavier Cortes

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 01:58:29 PM
seems like a lot of ones! Must be something from Boulder.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline xcortes

Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 02:17:42 PM
Let's say it's something to try my PT2s (Thanks Jim and Eileen) ergo SR45s with (thanks keto for the tubes).

Xavier Cortes

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 04:23:54 PM
Is the decimal point at the end of those ones or after the first three?

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline xcortes

Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 05:19:14 PM
Decimal point after all of them ones.
Actually the auction didn't reach the fifth figure (but it was close).

I sold my Pacific Microsonics Model Two (digital, even at its best is not good enough for me) so it was time to do something crazy.

I've always wanted a good pair of 755As but never dreamed of WEs (Altecs cost one half of what WE's do).

Well I've been lucky with not loosing much on my last crazy tests (Model Two, EAR amp, TdP Technics, Klangfilm Eurodyn, etc) so it's time to try a nice pair of WE 755As.

Doc, will there be some extra veneer for me to build myself a SR45 that matches my preamps?

Saludos

Xavier Cortes

Offline ironbut

Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 05:50:01 PM
Ha,.. I knew that "field coil" or WE would be in the in the auction description somewhere!
Good luck buddy!

steve koto

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 06:49:23 PM

Doc, will there be some extra veneer for me to build myself a SR45 that matches my preamps?

Saludos

Yes, no problem. Which brings up an interesting story. I attempted to veneer your repro front panel. Arghhh. I got a nice piece of veneer on the front, and trimmed it before the glue was completely dry.Arggghhhh! Lacewood shrinks! It ended up about 1/32 short on each end! So I am planning to re-veneer the front panel this week. I have a pretty good sized sheet and I planned to send you the rest in case you had such a plan in mind.

And hey, I totally hear you about the Model 2. It's the best of the best. But digital is what it is.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 07:00:25 PM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline xcortes

Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 02:14:45 AM
Thanks Doc,

I'm still planning to use the Ampex 300, Repro, Headphone Amp, and Sonys at the office but its always good to have options.

And good to know about the shrinking. They're gonna look (and sound) awesome together.

Xavier Cortes

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 04:31:48 AM
Xavier,

Congratulations! FC WE755s have been some of my ultimate goal drivers, and last summer I almost bought a set of the LM reproductions.

Lacewood -- nice stuff and yes, in raw form, not the easiest to work with.  I did a pair of BLH horns in lacewood once and they turned out beautiful.

Which EAR amp did you have -- the 859/869?

Congratulations again,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline xcortes

Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 06:15:57 AM
Thanks Jim,

The EAR was the 861 which is triodes, class A, sans feedback push pull. Fantastic with the Quads. But in the end it lacked that I-wanna-listen-to-this-all-day that SETs provide. Now that I think about it, the experience ended up being the same with the Model Two.

Xavier Cortes