Another idea for volume control on the FP III+

Jim R. · 11803

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
on: July 01, 2012, 05:43:11 AM
As I generally don't like dual volume controls (and believe me, this comes from a whole lot of experience with all kinds, including stepped) I've been looking through the posts here and have not really seen anything other than a custom dual attenuator based on the original 15k pot -- which seems fine, though the variable loading of the source seems to be a concern (although only a theoretical one at the moment and may not be anything at all to be worried about.)

However, I wonder about a stepped system that uses two 6-position rotary switches for a total of 36 steps -- one coarse and one fine) and wonder if anybody has done this and what type of attenuator you built -- series, ladder, or hybrid?

This seems like it could be a somewhat more economical way to a high quality attenuator for the FP III.

Thoughts?

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline John Roman

Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 07:10:02 AM
Jim,
I'm in the midst of defining a path for  improving the volume controls in my EFP3. I'm curious why you find dual mono controls a detriment? I'm currently using a Goldpoint selector with sweetest whispers shunt attenuators. The padding resistors are  Audio Note and Shinkoh Tantalum's. I'm trying to explore the audible effects of several different types of resistors. I've not begun testing yet as my speakers remain unfinished. If you please, I would like to know more about resistors you have used and your evaluation of their sonic effect. Would you agree that any, high quality passive volume control is essentially 90% due to the resistors used? I also would like to build an economical high quality volume control as I think this is an area where real sonic improvements can be achieved. I will continue reading with interest.
Thanks,
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 07:21:06 AM
Funny you mention that. PB just bought the parts to build a coarse/fine stereo attenuator as a test for the 300B preamp.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

4krow

Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 07:52:23 AM
Wow, that is exactly what I was wondering about! The idea came from the days when I owned a tuner that has fine and coarse tuning. This would be the same idea. Like I have said before, there is an EXACT volume that I am trying to reach in some recordings.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 09:37:21 AM
How about something like this,

http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/netcjstat.html

I have one in one of my projects, works pretty well...John

John Scanlon

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 10:11:11 AM
John R. -- really just me and my preferences -- far easier to turn one knob than it is to count clicks on two stepped attenuators, and two linear pots always ends up with me going back and forth to the listening chair typically several times before I get it right, then when the mix strays to one side I feel as if I should get up and tweak it -- none of these is really conducive to deep listening IMO.  I'd much rather set it and forget it.

Yes, the resistor, and even the solder play a significant role in the sonics.  I've not tried all the ones out there certainly, and as well none of the real boutique ones in a stepped attenuaator, but inddividually the vishay rn-55 is a good all-around metal film resistor, the CMF-55 a step up, and then the Texas components (nude vishay's) but you can also use the super expensive tantalums, nudes, and others in more critical places -- such as shunt and padding resistors in the foreplay and probably take the whole thing up a notch.  Night and day difference?  Doubt it, but noticeable for sure and worth it is strictly up to the individual.  My main complaint with the smd resistors is that typically the resistive element is nichrome and I just don't think nickel or chromium sounds very good in an electrical circuit.

Dan, great -- perhaps PJ will tell us more when he gets back.

John, I'll have to look again, but I recall the tubecad attenuator being a bit too large for the BH chassis, and at least for me with my new rack, widening the BH chassis is not an option.  But yes, that's the idea that got me thinking about a similar approach for the FP III.

-- Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

4krow

Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 05:47:20 PM
John, that ad really knock me over! Soooo, it's not just me. Now, if I could just verify the quality of this product. This is EXACTLY what I would want,   in theory. Thanks for the post.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 03:56:55 AM
Greg,

the TCJ hardware is of top quality -- very substantial pcboards and he only uses the swiss made, hard gold contact, Elma rotary switches, plus you always have the option of buying your own resistors if you don't like his options.

-- Jim

Offline Grainger49

Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 04:30:39 AM
I finally found the reference to using "boutique" resistors in the most used positions, VoltSecond!  

So build and find which positions are used most.  Then, after listening for a while, you have determined where you listen most often.  At that point you can put a $17 Nude Vishay in the series position and a $6 boutique in the shunt to ground positions.  

This appeals to the cheapskate in me.

Offline John Roman

Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 04:38:47 AM
Hey Grainger,
There's some cheapskate in all DIY, right? Besides we are value conscience....  Of course I usually don't get it right the first several times but that's another story!
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 05:38:31 AM
Greg,

the TCJ hardware is of top quality -- very substantial pcboards and he only uses the swiss made, hard gold contact, Elma rotary switches, plus you always have the option of buying your own resistors if you don't like his options.

-- Jim

The ELMA switchs at parts conneXion are $60 each, and the TCJ kit with three switches is $30. I think I'm missing something!

Paul Joppa

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 05:44:14 AM
Hmmm, maybe he's changed switches since I last looked.  Or, pcx is marking them way up :-)

-- Jim

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 05:51:06 AM
Oops, does indeed look like he has changed switches:

"The kit includes instructions and three high-quality, open-frame, rotary switches... "

Those are definitely not the sealed, hard gold Elmas he used to sell with the kit -- which also used to be something like $170. Ah, looks like he still offers that kit too, but at $160:

http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/tcj-stepped-attenuator.html

Also, the A5 kit (possibly subbing elma 6 position switches) looks like it may be just the ticket for the FP III -- and it will fit, but probably not in the stock top plate.  Might even work as-is as far as the configuration too:

http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/a5stat.html

-- Jim
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 06:15:03 AM by Jim R. »

4krow

Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 06:15:42 AM
Now, I did dig a little further to find he offered another kit for $160,  probably the one you remember. It was obviously 'hi-fi' as the bodies of the switches looked exactly like the Elna(I'm sure that they were because they were out of stock, waiting for more switch bodies from Switzerland:). Anyway, you know where this is headed, with me talking all about the exact volume,etc.  Time to start deigning a switchbox with a volume control(passive preamp?)

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 08:08:10 AM
I just found that Khozmo makes a shunt-type attenuator -- would this work suitably well in the FP III+ and would the recommendation be for 25 or 50 k and would you still put the 33k resistor under it?  Or, would it be better to get a custom 15k or 20k version from them and wire as described in the manual?

I'm not worried about the fit as I'm machining new top plates for my fp III, eros, and SR-45s out of copper plates.

Thanks,

Jim