MY FRANKENSTUNNED BRAIN

Guest · 3255

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 05:12:21 PM
cool stuff Greg! - Its fun to read about what other people have done - especially the stuff from the 'old days'. Much different then! - I was shaking my head the other day when I remember driving a milk truck for my dad when I was 12. No seat belt let alone air bags, and of driver side door was always open.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 02:54:36 AM
Yup.  The smelter at another local Alcoa plant runs 23k amps through the pot line.  The 5kV line is transformed down to about 1200V, rectified with some HUGE solid state rectifiers, thousands of them, and then sent out to smelt the Alumana ore into Aluminum.  The smelter is pretty close to Hell!  The closest there was in my mill was the remelter, 1300 degree liquid aluminum.  I worked the remelter when I first went to work for Alcoa.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 01:39:58 PM
wild stuff Granger! - We dont make anything here anymore. All that stuff is happening in China!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.