Triangle Titus 202EX (2002 vintage)

Rick58 · 6041

Offline Rick58

on: November 18, 2009, 11:24:48 AM
I use these with 300B Paramounts, sound excellent and plenty of volume (nearfield listening, tho).

I have upgraded the tweeter high-pass filter for a nice improvement in detail and air. The mid/woofer runs with no filter at all, up to ~6kHz.

I hope I perceived the intent of this category correctly! and it wasn't "only" supposed to be for Bottlehead speaker designs ...

BTW, I do use a sub (NHT SubOne) set to about a 60Hz lowpass and currently have a 60Hz inline hipass filter between the pre and the Paramounts.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 11:26:57 AM by Rick58 »

Paramount 300Bs (Sophia Princess mesh plates, Siemens & Halske NOS 12AT7s, V-Cap coupling and Mundorf Silver/Oil parafeed cap upgrades, nice!)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 11:41:15 AM
You did indeed perceive the intent, this board is for any discussion of speakers and we would particularly like to see exactly what you posted, your experience with a particular speaker and how it worked with one of our products. Thanks!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Rick58

Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 07:18:43 PM
Cool!  Glad to hear I got it right (for a change!). The Tituses (at least the 2002 vintage ones) do work excellently with the Paramounts. 'Sam Tellig' says the newer versions are not quite as tube-friendly ... but I think even these will likely run fine on 8W; Sam was likely thinking of his 2A3 amp when he made that comment.

I am lusting after some Ref. 3A MM de Capo i's lately. I think that with the Paramounts (esp. with the tube and cap upgrades) and I must say the McIntosh C220 preamp and Cambridge 840C CD player in the system, I have finally reached the point where I think the Tituses are the 'weakest link'. The de Capo's are a very similar design, as the woofer is run full-out with no crossover and the tweeter only has a single cap to roll it in at ~4kHz, IIUC. I would like to hear what this supposedly ultra-high res and more sensitive speaker (by at least 3dB) sounds like driven by the mighty Paramounts!

Paramount 300Bs (Sophia Princess mesh plates, Siemens & Halske NOS 12AT7s, V-Cap coupling and Mundorf Silver/Oil parafeed cap upgrades, nice!)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 03:08:25 AM
Back about 2003 my buddy Doug bought a pair of used Tutuses.  I am not certain of the exact model number.  He hadn't even played them when he came down from NC with them and we put them on my system (Seduction/FP 2/GainClone).  I was so impressed I went on a safari looking for a pair.  I ended up buying a pair of Zerius speakers at an insanely low price instead.  With this newly found sensitivity I could buy my first SET.

The Titus were amazing speakers, they still are!  They imaged very well, and I couldn't believe the bass that a small speaker could produce in my large room (last listening room, not current).  The top to bottom balance was so good nothing jumped out at me.  We didn't change speakers all weekend!

I don't think the Triangle line is given the credit they should in the SET friendly speaker lists.