Stuffing boards. Confusion abounds

roger_s · 5966

Offline roger_s

on: July 05, 2012, 11:33:51 AM
A friend and I went in on a couple of Smacks and I've begun building mine.  And I'm running into issues either with the manual or my inventory of parts has lots of leftovers...  The manual states I will be stuffing two identical boards.  However, per the manual:

90K ohm resistors - B board only
68k ohm resistors - A board only
60.4 ohm and 33k ohm resistors B board only
46.4 ohm resistor A board only
2.49k ohm resistor B board only
120 ohm resistor B board only
0.18uf cap B board only
4.99k ohm resistor A only
Each board has only one LM431 installed but I've a total of 4

I'm a bit reluctant to just stuff the boards since both boards have duplicate component callouts on each side (2 ea R1, R2, R3, Rc, Cc, etc.).  I'd like to know I'm stuffing components in their proper spots.  So, what goes where?

Thanks.

Roger

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 12:09:52 PM
Hello Roger,

Thanks for popping into the forum with your questions, they tend to be quite a bit easier to answer on a keyboard.

You are correct, the A side and B side of each board are stuffed quite differently, but the A side and B side between the pair of boards will be the same. 

The first step of installing the LM431 is on page 16, and the second on page 17.  It may seem a bit odd that both sides of the board get the LM431 regulator considering the differences in parts population, but this is indeed correct. 

As far as what goes where, using the photos in the manual is the most helpful way of ensuring that everything is in its place.  If you find any steps in the manual for assembling the PCB that do not call out A side vs. B side, please let us know and we will author corrections.

Sincerely,
PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline grufti

Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 12:25:37 PM
I just looked at the picture of the Smack underside in the Products section. It looks to me like both boards use the exact same components. That aslo makes complete sense from the overall look of the circuit layout.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 12:36:40 PM
Is is possible that there is some confusion due to the fact that there is an A socket and a B socket, and also an A end and a B end on each PC board?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 01:06:58 PM
Roger,

You get now that the A and B reference concerning the boards are the sides of one board, not an A board and B board, right?

Offline roger_s

Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 01:40:18 PM
That makes more sense.  Thanks for the clarification.  Now to go upstairs and put in the "extra" parts.

Thanks!

Roger

Roger,

You get now that the A and B reference concerning the boards are the sides of one board, not an A board and B board, right?