signal path

John Roman · 7685

Offline John Roman

Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 04:30:13 AM
Hello Rob,
Thanks for the pix, they are always helpful. I'm surprised at how compact the crossovers you've assembled are. I've seen this in many rather high end systems. To me this suggests that inductor separation is not an audible topology, at least not for most folks. There are many ways to "skin the cat" and audio is no exception. Realizing how complex some of the details are gives me a new appreciation.
kind regards,
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Grainger49

Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 04:48:44 AM
Hmmm...

Inductor separation, I am chewing on that.  The inductance is lower than a power supply choke or a plate choke.  The voltage and current in the speaker circuit is the highest seen in the signal path.  That is what gives me pause.  The magnetic field is proportional to the current.  Therefore it seems to me that the induced current from those magnetic fields will have some effect.  Probably the effect will be some muddying of the sound.  

I would put the inductors apart and axis at 90 degrees to each other.

I'm not knocking Rob's layout.  But with space not being a problem, and you are not assembling many crossovers to be assembled one after another, take the space.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 04:50:26 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 04:59:11 AM
The main thing about crossover inductors is that the good ones do not have a core, so most of their field extends outside the inductor. With an iron, or even just a ferrite core, most of the field is confined to the core.

For the most part you won't realize you are hearing the coupling unless you actually build two versions with different spacing and actually listen to the difference. Hardly anybody does that!

Paul Joppa

Offline John Roman

Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 08:23:04 AM
Grainger and Paul,
Thanks for the helpful input!
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay