Psvane tubes

John Roman · 7836

Offline debk

Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 06:39:24 AM
Not sure how to answer that.  I should have said small signal tubes not preamp tubes, since I was refering to tubes used as drivers or in premaps.

In my opinion the one tube change that I found most profound was replacing the Sovtek 2a3 with the EML 2a3 mesh.

When I originally switched out the NOS 12au7's with the psvane version i my Foreplay 3 I found them much more to my liking.  I have used the psavane 300b in two different amps and did not find much of an improvement over the Goldlion tubes I had

Don't know if this answers your question

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 06:42:25 AM
Would you say that a pre-amp tube will have more effect than a power tube? Seems that pre-amp tubes give me more bang for the buck, unless, say, I am replacing a quad of power tubes.

Power tubes will either let all of the goodness of the driver tube shine or they will detract.  Power tubes won't make driver tubes "sound better"  unless they mask nasties in the drivers!!

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 05:01:25 AM
I tried the 200b in a DRD amp I built.  They sounded very nice.

If you are going to spend the money I highly recommend going with the EML tubes

Deb

Thanks Deb. I haven't tried any of the mesh plate 2A3's but the EML is on my short list.

I'm kind of at a crossroad. Do I A) Buy a pair of quality 2A3's like you suggest. Or B) Make the resistor changes in my Paramour II's to allow me to run 45's. The lower power output of the 45 isn't an issue for me really. I can easily get to comfortable listening levels with my SEX amp. I see that EML has a 45 as well.

Decisions... decisions...

BTW - A friend of mine just ordered a matched quad of psvane EL34's for a PP setup that he runs in his system. They really are a bargain at $99 shipped for the quad. I'll update the group when I find out how he likes them.