Crack build in NJ

ptempel · 8277

Offline ptempel

Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 05:05:45 PM
BTW, tell me about your usb isolator when you get a chance.

I bought it populated from circuits@home:

http://www.circuitsathome.com/products-page/usb-interfaces/adum4160-usb-isolator-board-populated

I forget where I learned about it (DAC thread maybe?).  But it does seem to clean up the dirty power from the computer by decoupling it.  Only drawback is that you need another outlet for the 5V power supply for it.  I only have a cheap wall wart from Radio Shack.  Maybe a linear 5V PS or battery would be better.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 05:18:05 PM by ptempel »

Philippe Tempel

Laptop -> USB isolator -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Quickie -> Classdaudio CDA-254L -> Polk monitor 5B (upgraded crossover and tweeters).

Offline ptempel

Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 05:15:26 PM
Thanks all for the help and advice.  Will replace the bleeder resister first this weekend before troubleshooting further.

EDIT: Tried to get the resistor at Radio Shack but they only had the 1/2 watt version.  So sent a mail to Eileen ([email protected]) and requested it from her.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 06:04:43 AM by ptempel »

Philippe Tempel

Laptop -> USB isolator -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Quickie -> Classdaudio CDA-254L -> Polk monitor 5B (upgraded crossover and tweeters).

Offline ptempel

Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 03:17:40 AM
Got a note from Eileen and will be getting the resistor soon.  A quick question about it.  The only purpose for the 270K 1 watt resistor is to discharge the caps.  Correct?  If so, then my problem may lie elsewhere but should wait to put this in.

Philippe Tempel

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 05:32:31 AM
Phillipe,

That is correct -- install the resistor before doing any more work under the hood.  And best to leave the amp off between now and then and it may even be advisable to build a cap discharger as was mentioned earlier.

And also correct that this resistor probably has nothing to do with the other problem, but once it's a bit more safe under there we can get back to figuring that all out.

Thanks also for the info on the usb isolator -- definitely going to check that out.

Where in NJ are you -- grew up there and lived there a good portion of my life.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline ptempel

Reply #19 on: August 09, 2012, 04:42:36 PM
Phillipe,

That is correct -- install the resistor before doing any more work under the hood.  And best to leave the amp off between now and then and it may even be advisable to build a cap discharger as was mentioned earlier.

And also correct that this resistor probably has nothing to do with the other problem, but once it's a bit more safe under there we can get back to figuring that all out.

Thanks also for the info on the usb isolator -- definitely going to check that out.

Where in NJ are you -- grew up there and lived there a good portion of my life.

Ok, thanks Jim.  Let me know what you think if you get the USB isolator.  Its a small difference, but its cheap so I thought why not give it a go.  I'm in Bloomfield, NJ.  My place is only three blocks from where I grew up since 1978.  So I've been in the hood for a while. :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 04:44:35 PM by ptempel »

Philippe Tempel

Offline Grainger49

Reply #20 on: August 09, 2012, 05:29:23 PM
Phillippe,

I'm old, I can't make out your avatar.  What is it?  Maybe post the picture in a larger size?  I see a cat but can't make out the head or what is in its lap.  If you say it is another animal I'm really going to feel old.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 08:40:34 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 04:27:51 AM
Philippe,

My last job before I had to retire for disability reasons was in Clifton and while there I lived in Little Falls and Montclair and a lot of my work colleagues had grown up in Bloomfield.  Can't say I've ever been there myself though.

I'm originally from the Princeton/Lawrenceville area myself.

-- Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline ptempel

Reply #22 on: August 12, 2012, 09:37:50 AM
I'm old, I can't make out your avatar.  What is it?  Maybe post the picture in a larger size?  I see a cat but can't make out the head or what is in its lap.  If you say it is another animal I'm really going to feel old.

I think its a Nintendo DS (portable game thing).  It originally looks like a mini laptop to me so thought it was a funny avatar.  Sort of me as a geeky cat I guess. :)  I received the 270K resistor on Friday.  Just have been a lasy sow and have not installed it yet.

Philippe Tempel

Offline Grainger49

Reply #23 on: August 12, 2012, 09:55:24 AM
Philippe,

We need to get the Crack up and running.  The forum can walk you through it.  I'm still convinced the problem is in the cathode circuits.

Offline ptempel

Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 10:32:07 AM
I think it's some Nintendo employee's cat.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/10/so-shigeru-miyamoto-now-has-a-cat/

Never saw the original image before.  Got mine from a copy at images.google.com.  Forgot what I searched for, but thought it was cute. :-)  Learn something almost every day.

Philippe Tempel

Offline ptempel

Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 10:35:49 AM
Philippe,

We need to get the Crack up and running.  The forum can walk you through it.  I'm still convinced the problem is in the cathode circuits.

Sorry for the looong delay in replying.  :(  We recently have been shuffling around a lot of stuff at home to make way for a new baby boy.  Still have the crack and will try to get the bleeder resister in there.  Will have to recheck the manual and meditate on the schematic for a bit to see how to check the cathode circuits.  I still have the speedball upgrade built and waiting in the parts box.  But don't want to touch it until I get my basic build debugged.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 10:39:35 AM by ptempel »

Philippe Tempel

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 11:42:45 AM
So a 300k resistor would work as a bleeder resistor then? If i put 2 150's in series?
I am in union city and building a crack too. I posted a photo under the topic crack construction. It would be fun to compare the 2 cracks sometime once they are upmand running n broken in.. I also have a couple bottlehead amps n a foreplay. Congrats on the new baby!

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #27 on: September 19, 2012, 05:26:58 AM
Hi Philippe,

Congratulations on the new addition to the family!  Better get that amp going soon -- you're going to need those headphones :-).

Once you get some time and are ready to tackle the troubleshooting again, we'll all be here ready to assist.

-- Jim