Introductions

Grainger49 · 7652

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 08:23:04 AM
Hey Jim,

Love the "Blind Bottlehead" description for your avatar/text. I now have this mental image of you in an old, worn shiny suit with a porkpie hat and dark glasses on, playing a National resonator guitar out on the front porch. Our conversation at the first RMAF is one of my more pleasant memories of that show, and I think folks here are rather in awe of your skill in putting these kits together.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 08:29:19 AM
I can't imagine.  I burn my fingers too often without being blind.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 09:18:13 AM
Thanks, Dan.  I like the image :-).  Though I have to admit it was more like birkenstocks, a headband and a D-28 :-)

Of course I still haven't actually put a kit together either, but that is under way, so we'll all get to see how I do in the not too distant future.  MQ goodie package is being delivered today.

Grainger, believe me, I still manage to burn myself now and then too.

I recently finished building a Millet Minimax hybrid headphone amp for my dad's 80th birthday and if I ever take on another project that has a zillion little pieces on a dense PCB, somebody please put me out of my misery before I do it.  The guys who designed that definitely packed 10 pounds of potatos in a 5 pound bag, but... it works and sounds great according to my dad.

I love the listening, but the building is also a huge part of the fun for me.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Wardsweb

Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 10:38:11 AM
Thanks, Dan.  I like the image :-).  Though I have to admit it was more like birkenstocks, a headband and a D-28 :-)

Of course I still haven't actually put a kit together either, but that is under way, so we'll all get to see how I do in the not too distant future.  MQ goodie package is being delivered today.

Grainger, believe me, I still manage to burn myself now and then too.

I recently finished building a Millet Minimax hybrid headphone amp for my dad's 80th birthday and if I ever take on another project that has a zillion little pieces on a dense PCB, somebody please put me out of my misery before I do it.  The guys who designed that definitely packed 10 pounds of potatos in a 5 pound bag, but... it works and sounds great according to my dad.

I love the listening, but the building is also a huge part of the fun for me.

-- Jim

Jim I'm in total agreement on having fun building. To tell you the truth I have as much fun, if not more, building gear than I do listening to it and I do love listening. As a matter of fact, last evening a lady friend of mine came over and we spent several hours listening to music, drinking wine and nibbling on cheeses and fruit. She was so impressed with the sound she took a picture of the system to send to her boyfriend.

Offline rock4016

Reply #19 on: May 11, 2010, 04:09:29 AM
I have not purchased or built any Bottlehead gear, but I have built at least 10 single ended tube amps over the years.  I've got a tube amp in my bedroom system, one connected to the Wii that the family uses and 3 complete amps in the basement with 2 more being built, and a guitar amp that needs to be finished.  I've repaired several old guitar amps and a couple console amps.

I've been to many bottlehead meets in the Northern VA area (at Castle Steves place, and Fritzs) and enjoyed the DIY spirit of the folks involved with BH.

These DC DIY guys got me into tube DIY http://www.dcaudiodiy.com/.

I also enjoyed participating in the 6V6 competition.

Lots of nice folks with great info to share.  I think it's neat to hear what some people have put together over a 30 year period, and how everyone has different tastes and priorities.
-Joel