Question about western electric flat resistors

balancedtriode · 2173

Offline balancedtriode

on: August 02, 2012, 03:52:03 AM
I heard the nos western electric flat resistor could handle 19 watts, does anyone know it that is true?
I am considering using 2 in a circuit I have planned,
thanks,
coltrane

Thorens TD-160 Custom(rebuilt by me) with SME 3009 arm
Bottlehead Seduction
Extended Foreplay-III (build underway)
Stereomour Power Amp conversion (Heavily Modded)
Klipsch Cornwalls' with Vertical Horns

Offline balancedtriode

Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 04:41:33 AM
I ordered these resistors, is there a way to test their wattage without damaging my gear? all I need to do is figure out if they can handle at least 10 watts they are the brown heavy duty flat ones with the wrap around terminals and the center screw post for mounting, I cant seem to find any information online about how many watts max. they could handle.
any help would be appreciated!
thanks,
coltrane

Thorens TD-160 Custom(rebuilt by me) with SME 3009 arm
Bottlehead Seduction
Extended Foreplay-III (build underway)
Stereomour Power Amp conversion (Heavily Modded)
Klipsch Cornwalls' with Vertical Horns

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 10:06:46 AM
There are probably similar-shaped resistors available - look at the Mouser, DigiKey, Allied, etc. catalogs online. Something the same size and shape will heat up similarly. It would have the same rating if the maximum internal temperature were the same, but of course modern resistors are probably able to run at higher temperatures. Download the spec sheet for the similar modern resistor; there will probably be a de-rating graph for lower temperatures. For what it's worth, I run modern resistors at no more than 1/3 of their maximum rating, just to make sure they don't get extremely hot - the resistor may handle 250 degrees C, but the capacitor next to it can only take 85 degrees!

That still leaves you guessing about the materials used and the maximum temperature of the old-stock resistor. You might get more help from the vintage audio board on the Audio Asylum.

Paul Joppa