Left channel has gone out; A3 LED does not illuminate

sladef34 · 1984

Offline sladef34

on: September 03, 2012, 07:15:26 PM
I've had my Crack for about 6 months - hadn't turned it on in a while.
Fired it up the other day and got some static in the left channel, and then the left side went silent.
Today when I turned the amp on, I didn't get the static - the left channel is dead.

The LED that goes from A3 to the center pin is not illuminating (the other LED lights up fine).

I'm assuming this is what is also giving me some funny voltage readings on 5, 9, A1, A3, B4 and B6.

My plan is to re-solder A3 and the center pin.  Is there a test I can run to see if the LED itself has gone bad?

Thanks,

Slade

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 05:02:46 AM
It's not necessarily the solder joint at the LED. I suggest reheating all of the solder joints on that channel of the amp.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 07:51:10 AM
I'm assuming this is what is also giving me some funny voltage readings on 5, 9, A1, A3, B4 and B6.

Yes, with the LED unlit, no current will be flowing through there.  I'd rehit the A1, A2, A3 socket pins with your iron lightly, then check the ends of the 22K resistor on the terminal strips on that socket side.  Also, if pints 4 and 5 aren't well connected, one half of the tube won't glow (you can visually check for this).

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline sladef34

Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 01:20:17 PM
Sweet sassy molassey, my Crack is back in business!

I hit all of the solder points you suggested Paul, and that did the trick.

Thank you for the suggestions guys!

Slade

Offline Laudanum

Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 02:43:45 AM
Happy to hear it's fixed.  Some of the good folks here would probably suggest, that since you already have had a suspect solder joint, you may want to check them all and touch them up.  Good advice.   But then again ... if it aint broke, dont fix it often works just as well for me  ;D

Desmond G.