Anybody completed their kit yet?

Doc B. · 9679

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: August 23, 2012, 12:33:40 PM
There are a whole bunch of them out there now. You guys are making me antsy!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 03:16:55 PM
Its killing me to have it sit there.  I'm working on a custom enclosure but I'm having to practice my woodworking skills first.  Then I need to ensure the way I want to mount the front panel to the baffle will work.

I received my stereomour today, so maybe I can take care of my soldering jones with that while I'm working out the particulars on my amp cabinet.

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline tcell

Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 06:30:52 AM
I'm building without any modification, so shouldn't take me too long. Trying to do a little each day. But the kids are going back to school next week; the confusion from that might slow me down a little!

Bottlehead Gear: Foreplay 2&3, Extended S.E.X., Paramours I w/ iron upgrade, Straight 8's, Tode, Bottlehead DAC.  Guitar gear: Les Paul Standard 1981, Ernie Ball John Petrucci BFR, POD HD500x, Marshall JCM1, TC Electronic G-Force.

Offline Bill Chase

Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 05:31:07 PM
Doc,
   I just finished mine a few minutes ago, but seem to have a problem.  Resistance checks are good, but I'm getting 15.6v at term 2, 20.0v at term 5 (both on the front), and no sound (speaker or headphone).  The other voltage checks are all close, I have LED glow, tube glow on the EL84. EF86 I'm not sure...  I'm checking for bad soldering joints now.
Cheers,
Bill

Bill Chase
Digital music collection enjoyed thru:
   Mac Mini to Jolida Glass DSD DAC
   BeePre & Stereomour I
   Seductor EL84 Amp
   DecWare Ultra Preamp w 5x Paramount 300Bs with Magnequest Iron
   Crack with Speedball
   SEX v1
Guitars and Ukulele enjoyed by Tode

Offline Dyna Saur

• Yippie-Ki-Yay....
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 03:08:46 PM
Completed the wood "base"  assembly, gluing and metal brackets, not yet decided how to finish it.

Back plate  and PSU  completed and checked out, it  works properly.

Completed the  front panel assembly,  just finished the ground buss and "scoop filter" wiring.

Taking my time, no need to rush it... ;D

/ed B in NC

ed brown

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 03:59:41 PM
Sorry Bill, we had a surreal day today (cover emails...check ebay auctions...pack all the assembled amps that are queued up... by 3... don't forget to drive to Port Townsend by 4:30 to pick up Mom's ashes!) and I didn't get a chance to look at the manual to understand what the terminals in question are connected to. I will take a look when I am back at the office tomorrow. If you can tell me what those questionable terminals should be reading I might be able to figure out what they have tied to them and give some suggestions. If it's just those two terminals, start there and make sure that everything that should be connected is connected to them. Sometimes the "no sound" symptom is due to the signal getting grounded out somewhere in it's path from the input to the output. It might be something like an errant whisker of shield wire on the coax cable shorting against the center conductor.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 04:05:12 PM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Bill Chase

Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 07:44:06 PM
Dan, given your day I'm amazed you pulled off answering posts at all!  I'm sorry that anything to do with the loss of a loved one gets associated with a timeline-- we'll keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

Bill Chase
   BeePre & Stereomour I
   Seductor EL84 Amp
   Crack with Speedball
   SEX v1

Offline Dyna Saur

• Yippie-Ki-Yay....
Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 01:38:46 PM
Just finished building my Tode,  works perfectly, sounds  very nice.  Only minor voltage check discrepancies are all related to the EL84 cathode voltage, I have approx 28VDC across the 560 ohm 5W  cathode resistor, which would equate to 50 mA cathode current.
37VDC across it would be closer to 68 mA, which would likely  give the EL84 / 6BQ5 the dreaded red plate syndrome  :o

I left the front and rear plates their natural aluminum,  I like the swirled brushed finish as it is, and I had no "bubble wrap" markings - mine were swaddle in non-adhesive bubble wrap, so no sticky footprints to deal with  ;D  I painted the power tranny bell with a brown rustoleum finish, I figured it will look good with the finished wooden cabinet. 

So, all the voltage checks which indicate approx 35-37 VDC, are approx 10 V lower.  I tried the supplied Sovtek EL84, and a couple others (J/J and EI) that I had on hand, and observed nearly identical voltage measurements. In both cases, the EL84 control grid voltage is about 16VDC, that would make the grid to cathode differential about 12 VDC, whic is spot-on for these tubes, at 50 mA.

I get approx 350 VDC on the "hot" end of the power supply's 47 uF / 450V cap,  and 432 VDC at the "hot" end of the voltage doubler,  and approx 82 VDC drop across the 1.6K, 10W power resistor.

I haven't yet applied any varnish /  finishing to the wooden cab,  so I am testing it "bare naked",  just with the front and back plates assembled together.  With nothing plugged into the input jack, it is dead quiet, no discernable hum, buzz, ripple, noise,  a true  "black" background.  ;D

« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 01:46:12 PM by Dyna Saur »

ed brown

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 01:47:17 PM
Hey Ed,

Remember that the tubes are direct coupled, so the op point of the EL84 is somewhat dependent upon the op point of the EF86. I'll check the voltages in mine when I have a chance. Meantime, could just be the tubes need to cook a while and form their cathodes before the voltages settle in. 

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Dyna Saur

• Yippie-Ki-Yay....
Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 01:56:44 PM
I do have some Tungsram, and a couple of "mystery"  Russian made EF86s (which I got from Triode Electronics, for an ST-70 mod  project,  a LONG time ago), buried deeply  in the tube stash, I'll try them out, when I can excavate them from  the mountain of boxes... Meanwhile, I'll just let the supplied  Svetlana and Sovtek tubes burn in.

/ed B

ed brown

Offline Bill Chase

Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 06:07:54 PM
Doc,
   I think you've really nailed this one! I have a feeling that this one will be a success with the broader musician community in addition to those of us more rooted in the playback side of things.  It's addicting... the more I play with it, the more drawn in I get!  ...Now if it could only help my technique! 
Cheers,
Bill

Bill Chase
   BeePre & Stereomour I
   Seductor EL84 Amp
   Crack with Speedball
   SEX v1

Offline piperbob

Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 03:49:28 PM
I've built mine and it sounds very good. The Fender tone setting sounds good with my pedal steel guitar (I don't play no stinkin' 6 string twangers!). The line out to my WGS- EV-SRO clone into a closed cabinet sounds great and darn loud too. Some Tode pix:
newbielink:http://s660.photobucket.com/albums/uu330/piperbob_photos/Tode/ [nonactive]
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 04:38:42 PM by piperbob »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 10:13:46 PM
Wow!  You ought to post the first picture in the Gallery.  I like the red and green finish to the front plate.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 07:14:22 AM
Love your soldering iron rest.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 09:15:15 AM
37VDC across it would be closer to 68 mA, which would likely  give the EL84 / 6BQ5 the dreaded red plate syndrome  :o

Remember, 4-5ma of that cathode current is flowing through the EL84 screen, and a teensy tiny bit through the EF86 screen. 

I think the tubes we used during the writing of the manual were pretty well thrashed (mostly by me) during the prototyping stage, so some variation doesn't surprise me at all. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man