Looking to take the plunge

rlyach · 3544

Offline rlyach

on: June 17, 2013, 07:38:16 AM
OK. Now that I have built three tube amplifiers I am ready to step into the world of vinyl, and I find I need advice. Right now I am trying to decide on a turntable (reasonably priced) and either the Eros or the Reduction kit. I note that there is a big discussion on moving magnet vs moving coil pickups and other cartridge topics. Could someone suggest which pre-amp I should get and then a good turntable / cartridge to match? I know this is probably been discussed to death but I was trying to save some time by not wading through all the posts. I love bottlehead gear and have come to trust many of the members of this board. Thanks!

Randy Yach

Offline Wanderer

Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 10:06:09 AM
Do you have a budget in mind? Do things have to be new or do you want to fuss with used/updated turntable/tonearms?   

I have used the Seduction - which is the progenitor of the Reduction - with my set up which is a Merrill modded AR AX/SME IIIs arm/Grado Blue or Audio Technica 440 MLa cartridge (I very much prefer the AT)  AND with a friends set up of a Kenwood KD-500/Sumkio MMT arm/Denon 110 cartridge. Both rigs worked well with the Seduction and should be fine with either Reduction or Eros.

Either Reduction or Eros are intended for a MM, MI or HOMC cartridge.

For starting out would seem to me going with a high output cartridge would eliminate the need for a step-up of some sort. Meets the K.I.S.S. principle to my thinking. 

Kevin R-M

Offline rlyach

Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 11:51:51 AM
Just for sake of discussion, I was looking at a new Music Hall 5.1se which comes with a Music Hall Mojo cartridge and a Fritz Gyger diamond stylus. I have never owned a good turntable before so this is all new to me, but it gives you an idea of my price range. Will the Reduction work with this cartridge, or do I need the Eros?

Randy Yach

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 12:08:38 PM
Pretty much if a cartridge is going to work with one, it will work with the other. Eros can work with a bit lower output than the Reduction, but neither is advisable with a low-output moving coil without an intermediate gain stage (passive or active).

A good rule of thumb is to count your records. Don't spend more than $1 per record on your phono setup.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 01:21:03 PM

A good rule of thumb is to count your records. Don't spend more than $1 per record on your phono setup.

Now I gotta go buy another 7000 records.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline rlyach

Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 04:22:08 PM
Doc,

You just made me laugh very hard. I was also wondering what to do myself because I only have a few albums right now. I am setting up the turntable because my boss says I haven't heard anything until I have heard a good turntable on a tube amp. Also, my son is finishing up an album he is the audio engineer on and it will be released on vinyl.

After reading many reviews, I think I will get the Music Hall 5.1se and the Reduction amp. The phono cartridge that comes with the music hall turntable is rated at 6.25mV +/- 1.25mV. I think this will work well with the reduction, and I like the simplicity of the Reduction. I Plan on using east indian rosewood for the base and I will powder coat the base plate black to match my downstairs amp. Does anyone have a good reason for me to get the Eros instead of the Reduction?

Randy Yach

Offline debk

Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 11:47:26 PM
Music Hall 5.1 was my first table and it is a great table to start with.
Caution this is very addictive, I currently have a Sota Comet and am in the process of upgrading to a Sota Sapphire.

As with Doc the $1 per LP equation is off by at least and order of magnitude!

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers