Cartridge re-tip

Anton · 15311

Offline Anton

on: August 31, 2012, 07:30:51 AM
Hello,
Does anybody here have an experience with the cartridge re-tipping services by Peter Ledermann at http://www.sound-smith.com/retip/ ?
I have a Dynavector 20X2 (2.8 mV) with bent cantilever. Cartridge is practivally new (~50 hours). My wife bent the cantilever, when dusting the turntable (((
Cartridge re-placement at Needledoctor.com will cost $680 (new cart is ~$850), and re-tipping at http://www.sound-smith.com/retip/ is $150 - $350, which is not that bad.
I just was wondering if anybody here used this service and share the feedback?

Thank you
Anton

Eros phono / Foreplay III extended upgrade / Paramount 300B/ S.E.X. 2.1 impedance switch upgrade

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 09:12:42 AM
Yes, numerous times:
  • Supex 900
  • Benz Micro Reference
  • Dynavector 20XL

All were improved in imagining, extension and timbre, but kept their basic characteristics. The tracking on the Supex was greatly improved.

All the Ruby/Optimized Line Contact

• Ortophon SPU GTA vintage, full rebuild to original spec's.

Beautiful job, looks like new!!!

Peter is a master.  We are blessed to have his service here in the US. I have also used van den Hul through Eugene Hifi.  Good job, but expensive and long wait. Expert Stylus, UK gets good reviews.  But I will continue to go with the Home Team!!!

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline Anton

Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 09:26:56 AM
Hi Geary,
Thanks for such an extended response - I really appreciate this.
I made up my mind then - I just sent a request for "Ruby Cantilever Optimized Contour Nude Contact Line Diamond" re-tipping ($350), and will ship my Dynavector cartridge later today. I will definetely post my impressions once the cart is repaired.

Regards,
Anton

Eros phono / Foreplay III extended upgrade / Paramount 300B/ S.E.X. 2.1 impedance switch upgrade

Offline Henry2011

Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 01:17:24 PM
Anton, 

I had a used Grado TR retipped by SoundSmith (ruby cantilever and optimized contour - note that the optimized contour is supposed to be more sensitive to incorrect VTA).  No complaints (very pleased) after hundreds of hours of use.  SoundSmith checks the electrical inegrity of the cartridge prior to the "operation".  Retipping at SS does take some time due to the volume of their backlog (mine was about 10 weeks) and like any operation there is a chance something can go wrong.  These are things I knew going in.  I would do it again if that became necessary.

Henry Moore

Offline johnsonad

Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 01:46:49 PM
Anton,

Peter is amazing and his work is second to none that I've delt with.  The only problem is the long wait and you must be very patient.  He will get it done but it may be month after you expect it to be finished.  I've had him retip one cart and service another.  Both were worth the long wait.

Regards,

Aaron

Aaron Johnson

4krow

Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 03:28:30 PM
I hear great things about the Soundsmith cartridges, but never thought of the possibilities of re-tipping. I say go for it.

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 05:45:45 PM
I had Sound Smith repair my Dynavector 20xl after it suffered a hit from some indoor dodgeball my kids decided to play. I went with the tip upgrades and am very happy with it (I can't remember which option). It's been said, but make sure you plan on a 10 week or so turn around. That said, I would do it again (but hopefully I won't have to). Great service, great product, go for it.

Pfenning

Pfenning

Paramour 1's with c4s and iron upgrade, Foreplay II, Seduction with c4s, Crack (stock) and Foreplay III (waiting to be built), DIY turntable with Rega RB250 arm with Incognito wiring, Oppo DVD, Pi Stage 4's and DIY subs

4krow

Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 03:58:43 PM
Way back when, I also owned a Dynavector 20XL. I loved the sound so much, and didn't realize that I would never hear that exact same sound again.

Offline Anton

Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 07:33:55 AM
Guys,
Thanks for sharing your experience. I really appreciate that.
I shipped my Dynavector 20X2 to Soundsmith, and received a delivery notification from them couple of weeks ago. It said that the waiting time can be up to 10-12 weeks. It might seem a little too long (especially in our age of instant downloads, iTunes and Netflix), but I realize that the quality work needs time. So I don't mind waiting...

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 07:47:43 AM
...the waiting time can be up to 10-12 weeks.

That is typical.  Shorter than Benz Micro, just a bit longer than Expert and about the same as van den Hul, (depending on when in the shipment cycle it is received by the US agent).

Unlike instant cyber digital gratification, this work is done by physical digits in real time!!!  Just another part of the analog experience!!  ;)

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline Grainger49

Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 07:21:01 AM
Anton,

How did it go?

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 10:38:00 AM
i would like to offer my experience with Cartridge Repair by Andy Chong Kim in Bellevue, WA. I sent him a Blue Point Special EVO lll cartridge that had been damaged. The cantilever was broken from the coil and two of the wires to the coil were broken. Trashed, I thought; but Andy rebuilt a new coil and provided a new stylus assembly and one other mod. He attached a very tiny but strong magnet to the front of the cartridge to augment the BPS magnet.

Frequency response was extended with the magnet in comparison to without it. In any case, the repairs and rebuilding have given me a beautiful cartridge which, along with the superb BH Customs Eros phonostage by Paul Birkeland, has restored my 1200 LP collection to me. I cannot believe how wonderful these discs sound to me now. Vinyl Lives!

http://www.phonocartridgeretipping.com/
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 10:54:04 AM by Hank Murrow »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 10:39:09 AM
I just put a deposit down on a DL-103 from Andy as well, I'll report back when it's finished.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Henry2011

Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 02:02:47 PM
Anton, Did you get a good result on your retip? Henry Moore

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 02:05:33 PM
I should mention that I ended up getting an Ortofon MC-30 super from Andy for a reasonable price, and I am quite happy with the performance!

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man