Difficult for Newbie?

MagicCat · 6321

Offline MagicCat

on: September 05, 2012, 10:57:19 AM
Hey Guys,

My name is David and I live in Scotland. I found the Bottlehead site by pure chance, and I'm looking for a headphone amp. The idea of a kit appeals to me as an ex-military engineer (mechanical) However, I'm worried I'll screw it up! What are the kits like for a newbie to build? I have vast mechanical engineering experience, and some electrical.

Many thanks, and best wishes

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 11:03:07 AM
90% of our customers are first time builders. With your engineering experience I think it will be very easy for you.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 11:07:09 AM
Go for it. I had no electronics background and very little soldering experience when I took the plunge on my Foreplay preamp and Paramour amps. The manuals are very detailed, and assume the builder has no experience. I've been listening to those pieces for the last 10 years, and they are awesome. I also own the headphone amp, and this kit was very simple to build. Doc and the crew have found ways to make assembly easier since those first kits, and the forum here has always helped me when I hit a snag. I'm sure more people will chime in with encouragement. Tubes rule!

Pfenning

Pfenning

Paramour 1's with c4s and iron upgrade, Foreplay II, Seduction with c4s, Crack (stock) and Foreplay III (waiting to be built), DIY turntable with Rega RB250 arm with Incognito wiring, Oppo DVD, Pi Stage 4's and DIY subs

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 11:17:59 AM
There are a number of Bottleheads, you become one by building, in the UK.  I remember meeting 3 who live around London at the 2003 VSAC.  Gaspode is from Scotland, living in Windsor.

I'll bet you do well with your first build.  Look here for suggested tools:

First Project Suggested Tools

Offline Paully

Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 11:35:42 AM
I like to reply to these threads.  I am Latin teacher and build these things.  No technical background whatsoever.  The manuals are the absolute best in hifi.  Doc loves photography and it shows.  You could almost build the kits from the pictures alone, the manuals are that good.  The problem is never the person's ability to build the amp from the manual, it is someone who rushes and doesn't check their work before firing it up.  If you pay attention and double check you can very easily do it.  Trust me, you can handle it.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 11:38:47 AM
I'd say the toughest part of being a first time builder would be not knowing about/using the forum.

For most bumps along the road of kit construction, we will be here to smooth things out and point you in the right direction. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline coca

Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 01:53:49 PM
I live in Canada, and have background in automotive electrical. Everything everyone else has said is right on the money. Do like NIKE says. "Just do it./

Bernie."

Offline Wanderer

Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 02:32:19 PM
The manuals for Bottlehead kits are super. I have done Dynaco and Heathkits (yeah, I am that old) and the Bottlehead manuals are as good if not better then those. 

With the manual and help here on the Forum you can do it.  Go for it. The value you get from Bottlehead is unbeatable.   

Kevin R-M

Offline John Roman

Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 05:59:09 AM
Hello David,
 You will find the Bottlehead kits very well thought out. Doc and the rest of the Bottlehead crew are very supportive and at this stage have seen all levels of kit builders. What you will probably find is the kits are challenging but as you go along your expertise will improve dramatically. Many of us have been in the same spot as you, feeling perhaps just a little concerned about the technical side of DIY. I've been a member and active Bottlehead for, well let's see, about 15 years. I peruse many other audio forums in search of answers to all manner of questions. Some lucid and some quite embarrassing. At first I would seek out answers through the archives in an effort to cover my inexperience. But I've learned that while checking the archives is a good first step it's always a good idea to post a question to the group as well. The folks gathered here are exceptional in their willingness to help and do so in a way that helps you feel like no question is off limits. There is humor here as well as all manner and levels of technical advise. A very enjoyable group that IMHO puts them a fair notch above many other audio forums.
It is always encouraging to read posts from members of other countries. It's fun to see the Bottlehead community grow and provides valuable perspective. So,take a step into the Bottlehead realm and trust that this experience prove valuable and fun.
The Crack headphone amp is an excellent first step and overall a relatively easy build. And if a mis-step should occur WE will gladly help.
kind regards,
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 06:50:38 AM
Go for it David! Great stuff, great documentation, great support! Try the rest, go with the best!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

4krow

Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 07:40:48 AM
I blew up all four tires on my truck by adding too much air. No wait a minute, that was Eric. Sometimes we share reality.

Still making the base for the Quickie. Maybe I should name it the long haul. Too many irons in the fire. I did complete FIVE other projects though

Either way, these kits are really impressive when it comes to instructions, so don't fret. Just do it. If you burn it up, it's really not that big of a deal to move, change your name, and start a new wife,  errr life.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 01:17:51 PM
Greg, you dont want my 'reality'! I good taste of that will blow more than 4 tires!

Yours, Eric

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline MagicCat

Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 07:59:43 PM
Thanks for all your replies guys, I'm humbled. Having weighed it all up, and looked at te manual sample I'm going to give it a go! It'll probable be a Christmas gift so plenty of time to get together the suggested tools.

Thanks for now.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 03:25:15 AM
If you can solder, it's a piece of cake.  If you cant solder, you can practice soldering a little bit while waiting on the kit to arrive.  Then it will be a piece of cake.  Of course, some folks run into a snag here or there, no problem.  The forum always provides help and happily so.  But I mention soldering because cold solder joints seem to be one of the most common problems.  If you can solder, or get some practice soldering before building the kit, I think one is far more than 1/2 way to a successful kit on the first flip of the switch.

Desmond G.

Offline MagicCat

Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 11:30:53 PM
Thanks again.

What I've found with soldering is the little guns with a plug on the end just don't get hot enough; if you want a cheap quick soldering iron buy a gas one. To really solder you need a proper iron, with station, and if you can afford it go digital. Whenever I've had trouble with a cold joint it's been down to the iron being terrible.

What do you guys think about that?