Next upgrade: Caps? which and where to get from in UK?

sanadsaad · 3515

Offline sanadsaad

on: September 06, 2012, 01:35:50 AM
So I was thinking of my next upgrade for the Crack and Caps seem to be the next logical step. I need to know which ones to get so I can order them right now. A friend's coming from UK on Saturday so I have very little time to place the order. Which caps should I order? And if any of you know the best place to order from in UK, please let me know.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 03:53:17 AM
These look like they ought to work just fine.

http://www.europe-audio.com/Product.asp?Product_ID=8968

They replace the 100uF at 160V caps by the 6080 socket.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline John Roman

Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 06:02:35 AM
Take a look here  http://humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

This site may at least provide you with some detail.
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline John Roman

Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 07:13:03 AM
Good stuff Eric!
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 01:14:10 PM
Thanks John! - I knew you would like that! There will be a quiz on Monday.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline sanadsaad

Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 11:31:48 PM
Oh wow. Thanks guys. That's a lot of fun reading. I guess I'll research more and take my time before ordering. What would, in your experience, be the best price-to-performance upgrade capacitor for the Crack? I ask because if I upgrade the crack with an over-the-top purchase, it wouldnt represent a best price-to-performance amp for me anymore.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 03:14:15 AM
Price to peformance you are looking at the basic MKP types ... Solen, Mundorf, Axon, Erse, Dayton, Jantzen, Audyn ...  Im sure there are others.   It's difficult to find fancier constuction and  "boutique" caps at the high, 100uf value anyway.  And those that are available jump in price signifigantly as well as jump in size.   The caps mentioned are quite large for the location that they are typically installed in Crack.  Some brands larger than others.  Higher voltage rating versions of the same cap are larger.   Most are probably available starting at 250 volts (or higher).   160 Volts is the stock electrolytic cap ratings.  Any of the film caps rated there or higher should work fine.   If you can find out what is available,  you can check on the size to make sure they will fit.   All the caps I considered would have fit but didnt look closely at the size specs of all of them.  The Mundorfs are a popular choice as are the Solens and Axon.  The Axon is available at 91uf as opposed to 100uf but reports are they sound fine.  Im sure that any would provide some degree of improvement over the stock electrolytics.  I personally went with the 250 volt Mundorfs.  It was a noticeable improvement. Not quite the impact of Speedball but worthwhile to be sure.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 03:17:55 AM by Laudanum »

Desmond G.