Paramount II

ducati guy · 10153

Offline Grainger49

Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 04:11:45 AM
Xavier,

Happy New Year!

The CL-90 is nice for keeping the startup voltage from hammering the rectifier circuit but, sadly, it doesn't help in Cathode stripping (Insert David Rose & Orchestra here).

If I have it right, the high voltage is applied after the heater is at its rated voltage.  It can be done the cheap way, as I would do it, by putting a properly rated switch in the B+ to the output tube.  Maybe to the B+ to the driver too, I'm not sure.

The trick here is the properly rated switch.  Looking at Mouser most are rated at 125V, all sorts of current ratings.  I found one that is rated at 250V 1A.  That current is great but still not quite enough voltage.

Here are some 250V 1A results:    http://www.mouser.com/Electromechanical/Switches/Toggle-Switches/_/N-5g2j?P=1z0x3ugZ1z0z812

By the way, I would have loved to watch the security guys looking at a bag full of tubes.  My Post Office and mail carrier both think I'm weird sending and receiving Russian Military Surplus capacitors.  Too many packages from Ukraine, I'm probably under surveillance.

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 08:39:15 AM
Well, I'm a cautious engineer type so I would of course recommend saving the RCAs until the board is installed. But I've never actually heard of a problem with those tubes. Maybe someone else here is using them and would comment?

Paul Joppa

Offline xcortes

Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 06:43:30 AM
Thanks Paul and Grainger.

I think that I'll install the Rubli's B+ delays that have been discussed before. Eventually, when the BH boards are available I can move Rubli's to the Paramours in the HT.

The best for 2010!

Xavier Cortes