Building my Crack - Finally

davew · 9874

Offline davew

on: October 02, 2012, 03:06:25 PM
I've had the Crack kit with Speedball upgrade since last June (yes, over a year ago :-[) and I'm finally getting around to building it. I'll post my experiences here with pictures as I go. I've enjoyed listening to my home built tube amp for a few years and felt it was finally time to add a headphone amp. I'll start with a pic of my power amp (that could be another thread discussion entirely). I'll follow that up with pics showing my Crack build progress. As soon as I get an image converter to shrink the jpg files I'll post these pics and further updates.

I plan to start with a modded PSU. I'm going to go with a CLCLC setup. Assuming I can get both chokes in there. The chokes are Hammond 158M, same specs as Triad C-7x. The 20uF caps are Mundorf TubeCaps. The lead-in 470uF cap is a Nichicon PW series. I've worked this up in PSUD2 using the T1 and load R values from a post by grufti(?).

Dave

Marantz SR6006 -> Stereo SE EL34 Power Amp (home built) -> Klipsch RF-15
Crack -> Sennheiser HD650

Offline davew

Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 03:46:17 PM
Ok, here are some of the pics I promised. The first is my home built tube amp based on a JE Labs circuit once posted on angela.com. The second is the glue-up of my Crack base. I plan to use Cherry Watco Danish Oil to finish this. The third is a pic of the powder coated (textured black) chassis plate. I had the transformer bell housing powder coated as well. I found a local shop which only charged $25 and turned them around in 2 days.

Dave

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 05:30:04 PM
Wow, you got a deal on the powder coating! 

Let us know how the bits fit in, that's a lot to get in under the hood. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline davew

Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 09:09:58 PM
The powder coating was cheap since I chose one of their normally stocked popular colors. If I wanted something non-stocked, like black-RAL9005, that would have been a $100 min charge. I asked about the RAL9005 since that is also the normal color used by Front Panel Express for black powder coat.

I know fitting the 2 chokes and the 2 Mundorf caps may be a challenge. The dimension specs indicate the chokes will "just" fit across the transformer using its 4 mounting points. I'll use different length standoffs so the chokes are offset vertically a bit from each other. The 20uf Mundorf TubeCaps are rectangular bars, not cylinders, so mounting those with strong high temp double sided tape or velcro to the chassis plate should work. Fully protecting the leads with heat shrink in case of drop off, of course. One cap at the top between the safety ground and RCAs and the other on the left of the transformer below the RCAs should do the trick. I'll be sure to post a few pics when I get that stage completed.

That should still leave room for a future output cap upgrade. Although with my upgraded PSU and the speedball I suspect that upgrading the output caps may only be a small improvement, if noticeable.

Dave

Offline Nick Tam

• "Crack on Crack"
Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 05:36:29 AM
Either just the chokes or the caps... I have yet to find a way to fit a choke into my cramped Crack at the moment after i put a crossfeed circuit in as well...

Bottlehead Crack

Source: Fostex HP-A4
Cans: Sennheiser HD700
Sylvania GB6080 + Sylvania VT-231

Offline davew

Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 03:51:54 PM
I did a first test fit of the chokes and caps for my upgraded power supply. Choke #2 mounts to the transformer forward bolt and the safety ground bolt. This is a tight fit on the spacers since the spacing isn't exactly correct. Choke #1 mounts the same way on the other side with a hole drilled (at the correct spacing) to mirror the safety ground hole. The chokes don't protrude past the box boundary using 1 3/8" spacers. Cap #1 (470uf 250V Nichicon PW) will be secured with a cable tie down bolted to the panel (leads insulated, of course). Caps #2 and #3 (Mundorf 20uF film TubeCaps) will mount with the same method but stand(hang) vertically (again, leads insulated, of course). Cap#2 slides right in between the two chokes and sits against the box. The caps could easily lie horizontal if I used slightly longer spacers. So, now three more holes to drill for the power supply cap tie downs. And there is still room for big output film caps so I may drill four holes for their tie downs as well to be ready for that future upgrade.

Yes, that is a PEC pot peeking from the bottom of the photo. I plan to use a shielded cable from the RCAs.

Dave

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 05:32:13 PM
That looks like a very neat, workable layout.  I am going with a choke on my build...may consider 2!!

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 06:45:57 PM
I like that 470uF@ 250V cap in there, A+!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline davew

Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 07:57:23 PM
In the PSUD2 sims I ran the 470uF knocked down the turn-on current spike (already drastically reduced by using chokes rather than resistors) through the first choke by 20% over the stock 220uF.

Dave

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 10:27:53 AM
In the PSUD2 sims I ran the 470uF knocked down the turn-on current spike (already drastically reduced by using chokes rather than resistors) through the first choke by 20% over the stock 220uF.

Are you using the stepped load feature to just analyze the capacitors charging?

Remmeber, the tubes won't start conducting for several seconds, so the power supply ramps up more-or-less unloaded.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline davew

Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 11:31:03 AM
I didn't use a current sink. I was just using a resitive load as shown in my original post above and observing the current through the first series element to assess the stress on that component. Would using "Soft start" with the resitive load have the same end result as your current sink with stepped load? I did have soft start unchecked. Now that I think about it I probably should always be using soft start for tube circuit loads in PSUD2. Rerunning the sim with soft start shows no stress with the stock smaller cap. What parameters would you use for a current sink here?

Dave

Offline davew

Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 03:06:31 PM
I've finished all the mechanical assembly. All the needed standoffs and tie-downs are in place for the mods/upgrades I plan to install. Power supply caps, PS chokes, Speedball and maybe even film output caps are lined up. I'll start soldering tomorrow. Still deciding whether to start all stock first or jump right in with all the mods.

Dave

Offline Grainger49

Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 03:22:44 PM
Ah, yes, the all charcoal powder coated Crack.  It looks like it is going well.  I'm looking forward to the finished "works" side.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 03:09:40 PM
Dave,

If I were in your shoes I'd build it pretty much as you want but without the speedball.  So do the psu and caps mods, get the thing working and play it a while, and then when it is working to your satisfaction, go back and add the speedball -- much easier to trouble shoot once you know the basic amp is working.  Besides, you'll get two pleasant surprises instead of just one :-).

HTH,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Mosez

• Barcelona Chair
Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 10:02:33 AM
Hi Dave - just wondering if you had made any progress building your Crack. I for one am very interested to learn how you ended up liking your power supply mod. Cheers.

Daan Zweers