Volume control upgrades?

bmwr75 · 10766

Offline Nick Tam

• "Crack on Crack"
Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 12:52:35 AM
Never said a thing about film output caps, they defeat the purpose of the Crack kit to begin with

Bottlehead Crack

Source: Fostex HP-A4
Cans: Sennheiser HD700
Sylvania GB6080 + Sylvania VT-231

Offline Laudanum

Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 12:56:20 AM
Well, it's also keeping cost down.    But makes sense, use what works, keep cost down let the DIY'er, DIY.
By the way, the Alps is available with different length shafts.  The ones I got from Mouser did not need cutting.  Mouser had, at the time I bought, more than one version of the 100K duals.
Im afraid that, personally, I wouldnt hear much if any difference between the Alps and TKD (the basic model atleast).  The "better" TKD is close to $100.  The basic model is over $40, 3.5X what I got the Alps for.   Doesnt mean it's not worth it to others.  Just personally, I've been happy with the Alps, tracks well, sounds fine and is inexpensive.   For me, the PEC at around $35 or so would probably be what I would try if I were to change.  Supposedly a very nice pot for the price if you get a "good" one.  The IF is the problem I think.  Ive read that SOME can be scratchy and poor low level trackers.

Desmond G.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 01:04:26 AM
Never said a thing about film output caps, they defeat the purpose of the Crack kit to begin with

How so?  You mean including them with the kit would defeat the purpose of the Crack being a budget kit?   I would agree 100% with that. 

Desmond G.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 01:35:13 AM

Nick,

What I was referring to is older posts where posters wanted Dan to include boutique film caps in other kits.  With the large value in the Crack it has never been suggested, IIRC.  You probably haven't seen those, sorry for the confusion.  It was more for guys who have been here longer.

These tweaks are left to the individual as a personalization of the stock kit.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 03:51:57 AM by Grainger49 »