1956 Tung Sol 5998's

ditdah · 5238

Offline ditdah

on: October 31, 2012, 02:33:27 PM
I just got a pair of 1956 Tung Sol 5998's flat plate tubes intended for my Crack.  I noticed a few things right off the bat before trying them out:

*One of the tube base is loose and you can wiggle it left and right probably a millimeter either way.  This does not seem to effect the working of the tube as it has a nice glow and the sound is phenomenal.  The getter is nice and shiny indicating ( I believe ) a good vacuum still exists.  Other than the obvious caution needed in handling (removing or inserting) this tube...should I be worried?  Obviously, one without a loose base would have been much preferred...and I will be getting with the seller today to ask for a replacement, however, I wanted some knowledgeable input.

*both tubes appear to have a lot of debris...or dust on the inside of the glass.  I have a lot of old NOS tubes...and these are the first I have ever noticed that have debris on the inside.  I can't get any of it to bounce about...and it seems to be stuck to the glass.  I don't see anything on the plate or other tube mechanism.  How the hell is there anything inside the glass?  I suppose the debris / dust is on the outside...however, I can't feel it by touch and it doesn't wipe off.

Both tubes are beautiful Tung-Sol 5998 flat plate vacuum tubes...I'm very happy with the sound.  I don't have any more crackling or popping while warming up (about the first 3 to 5 minutes)...

Anyway...hope to hear back from some of you knowledgable folks with some input.  Honestly, if there's nothing to worry about...just let me know.  I'm a bit anal with stuff like this and I have to tell myself to back off sometimes. 

Regards,
Ken

Kenneth Koller

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 03:16:46 PM
You probably have nothing to worry about. You should always insert and remove by gripping the base in any case. If you want to you can add a little glue, Super glue may work, I use silicone for one's that are very loose.

You got to figure, anything inside a working tube has been in there since the day it was made. A picture might help...John   

John Scanlon

Offline matthewmckay

Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 03:50:53 PM
I had a similar issue with a TS 5998 i scored for my crack... couple of glass chips rattling around inside, loose base, lots of rough pitting on the outer glass.

It never turned in to an issue.. the sound quality was worth the minor imperfections.

Offline ditdah

Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 05:31:03 PM
Appreciate the input.  I'll try to get some photos posted tomorrow showing the dust/debris.  The seller is willing to get me another tube that has a tight base.  He says he's got several more and will ensure he can deliver a tight base tube.   After the feedback that I've read so far...I may decide to stay with what I have.  Both tubes sound incredible.  If anyone has any more input I'd appreciate your time ;)

Kenneth Koller

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 06:00:01 PM
Debris inside the tube is not unusual - mica flakes and cathode coaring dust are (I believe) the major culprits. It can be a problem in combat aircraft  :^)  but as long as the tubes stay right side up and the debris has settled to the bottom it should be no problem.

Paul Joppa

Offline ditdah

Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 06:50:22 PM
Paul,
Understood.  I think the pictures may cause confusion...but might add clarity...  The debris is seemingly uniformly hap hazardly dispersed across all the glass...not settled at the bottom, but somewhat uniformly distributed everywhere.

Kenneth Koller