Quickie & Blumenstein Benthic

oguinn · 5895

Offline oguinn

Reply #30 on: February 14, 2019, 11:39:23 AM
Ok, I did a couple of tests.
  • I took the X2 out of the chain and went straight from the Smash to the SEX and noticed the left channel was far quieter than the right channel when I had the pot turned from one direction to the other.
  • I took the Smash and the X2 out of the chain and ran it again. Although there's no balance control in that setup it appeared that the speakers were getting roughly the same dB level (I unplugged the speaker I wasn't testing).

So I think this might actually be a Smash balance pot issue. I'll reheat those joints and open a thread in the Smash forum if it persists.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #31 on: February 14, 2019, 12:48:26 PM
Or you could, you know, turn the balance control...

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline oguinn

Reply #32 on: February 14, 2019, 12:59:24 PM
I did do that. If I understand the balance pot, the way it works is that when it’s all the way to the left the left channel should be as loud as the right channel is if it’s turned all the way to the right. That’s not the case here. The left channel doesn’t get anywhere near as loud.

I can use the balance pot to adjust, but I thought the point was to use it to adjust for speaker distance and all that, not fix significant imbalances inherent in the build.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 01:35:51 PM by oguinn »

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline oguinn

Reply #33 on: February 14, 2019, 01:00:37 PM
I’m new to an amp with a balance pot, so if I’m missing the point of the balance pot let me know.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #34 on: February 14, 2019, 01:06:57 PM
The output of the Smash should be well balanced without using the balance pot at all.  What you're describing sounds like a build issue that you're now discovering.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Jamier

Reply #35 on: February 14, 2019, 04:58:19 PM
Jameson,

Put your Q back in, use the X2 and enjoy some music while you sort out your Smash. I'm sure you'll find the problem in short order. Besides, the Q is a pretty good pre, I wish Doc hadn't retired it, but maybe he's got something else coming down the road that's even better for the low,low price of a hundred bucks.

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline oguinn

Reply #36 on: February 14, 2019, 05:24:44 PM
I actually think it’s one of The 4P1L tubes! It follows whenever I swap them.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Jamier

Reply #37 on: February 15, 2019, 05:22:15 AM
Jameson,
      Do you have some other 4P1Ls to swap in?

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline oguinn

Reply #38 on: February 15, 2019, 05:33:10 AM
I have some on order from, like, Romania... we'll see if they arrive. I've also emailed the replacementparts address to see if they have stock. And finally I've ordered some polish to try and clean the pins just to see if that's the issue.

In the meantime I've swapped the Quickie back in and it sounds great!

Jameson O'Guinn

-