Quickie mods

earwaxxer · 64012

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #45 on: December 10, 2012, 03:00:14 PM
Copper tape sounds like a good idea. I just went with the copper tube. Just an addition though, I feel the aluminum also is needed. I coated the copper with aluminum foil. I 'think' it was better with the aluminum. YMMV.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline JONO

Reply #46 on: December 15, 2012, 12:09:12 AM
 I think Doc is right about the plate and microphonics, I used [Palight-Palram] a PVC foam as plate, and spikes in a wood bild. To get some microphonics I need to hit the plate. Or just got luck with the tubes- Motorola's and Pope's

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #47 on: December 20, 2012, 08:23:08 AM
got those delivered today ;D .  will install them over x-mas and will report back once they're broken in.

Michael

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

4krow

Reply #48 on: December 20, 2012, 09:12:56 AM
WAAAIT A MINUTE, you can't just be showning stuff like that here. Craaaazy people( I will NOT mention Eric's name out of respect) will see it and who knows what it will lead to. Like raiding the kid's inheritance or something. I am going to pretend that the Obliggato caps in my Quickie are all I need, and nothing else....except this chair..and that's ALL I need, my caps, and this chair...and this book of matches-----remember the movie "The Jerk"?

Offline corndog71

Reply #49 on: December 20, 2012, 10:37:25 AM
got those delivered today ;D .  will install them over x-mas and will report back once they're broken in.

Michael

Excellent!  Btw, I wrapped the leads of mine with plumber's teflon tape.

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi576.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fss207%2Fcorndog642%2FBottlehead%2520Quickie%2F102d2791.jpg&hash=b98b0e4ec5b8dd316c425e3be18b98edcc1090f5)

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #50 on: December 20, 2012, 01:52:01 PM
WAAAIT A MINUTE, you can't just be showning stuff like that here. Craaaazy people( I will NOT mention Eric's name out of respect) will see it and who knows what it will lead to. Like raiding the kid's inheritance or something. I am going to pretend that the Obliggato caps in my Quickie are all I need, and nothing else....except this chair..and that's ALL I need, my caps, and this chair...and this book of matches-----remember the movie "The Jerk"?

LOL! - I was thinkin - are those the MRs? Yep. I do have a hankerin for a couple of those, but alas, I'm off the 'cap crusade' for now. Got other fish to fry. Got to switch a couple of Quickies to balanced! Now, thats the schiit.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #51 on: December 22, 2012, 05:20:23 AM
Put my new Clarity Caps in today. Nice upgrade so far  ;D

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

4krow

Reply #52 on: December 22, 2012, 07:26:47 AM
Do you think that dampening caps helps their performance? Just wondering, 'cuz I used Sorbothane under mine.

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #53 on: December 22, 2012, 08:07:19 AM
Do you think that dampening caps helps their performance? Just wondering, 'cuz I used Sorbothane under mine.
I really don't know. I have not tried dampening single components. I use Sorbothane under my main speakers, which makes an audible difference (we have wooden floors).

Offline corndog71

Reply #54 on: December 27, 2012, 10:42:42 AM

I believe the Clarity ESA and MR caps have damping built into the design.  There seems to be something to it.  I've seen experiments with potting speaker crossovers and they supposedly sounded better than unpotted.  I don't have experience with potting but I understand it to be a pain in the butt.  It's also permanent and thus not so good for us tweakers. 

Keep having fun experimenting and tell us if YOU hear anything.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #55 on: December 27, 2012, 01:17:43 PM
resonance in caps is an interesting phenomenon....

There are two factors, internal, and external resonance. Internal resonance you cant improve by external dampening. The internal resonance has to do with a harmonic due to the flow of electrons through the cap, in relation to the dielectric etc, bla bla bla. Thats the kind of resonance that you have to largely be concerned with. Good caps take care of that. Thats one of the reasons why they cost the mega bucks! External resonance is not as big a deal, and if the former is taken care of the latter should be a minimal issue IMHO!

Eric

Offline Chris

Reply #56 on: December 27, 2012, 02:15:04 PM
Makes sense Wax....   Great looking work Zimmer! I even appreciate the "citrus garnish" you provided for the photo... :)   ... Gotta say,the looks of those clarity caps just oooze quality... When i am ready for my bottle head projects, they will be on my extreme "shortlist".....

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #57 on: December 27, 2012, 03:54:58 PM
Two points:

1) Mr. Grammar says: Dampening is misting with water. Damping is absorbing vibrational energy"  :^)

sorry, that one's a pet peeve; I'm pretty sure the battle is lost, but like those mythical Japanese soldiers lost in South Pacific island jungles, I keep fighting.

2) Mechanical vibration exists in capacitors, due to the electrical attraction as the voltage between electrodes varies. This is in addition to the electrical resonances that earwaxxer describes. It is quite audible with some caps! There are many modes of mechanical vibration, some of which have little or no motion at the outer surface, and others than can be damped at the outer surface.

3) There are in practice quite a large number of damping materials and methods that have nearly no effect at all, and very few that are truly effective. This is true of almost all vibration problems I've run across, and I've run across quite a few! That's why sharing experiences on a forum like this is so valuable - we are not all Thomas Edisons, willing to try 10,000 different materials before finding baked sewing thread makes a decent light bulb filament!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 12:21:01 PM by Paul Joppa »

Paul Joppa

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #58 on: December 27, 2012, 04:25:07 PM
well said Paul... I'm a auto spell checking slob so I usually pick the wrong correction. Sorry - it is DAMPING for the record. But yes, to further beat the horse, the 'resonance' problems with caps is not an easy solution.

Eric

4krow

Reply #59 on: December 27, 2012, 05:36:27 PM
I tried dampening my caps once, my short hairs are still tingling.

'And, stop criticizing my baking!' that's what I thought I heard as I slowly walked the old Edison place.