wood worker for speaker cabinets

John Roman · 4778

Offline John Roman

on: April 08, 2012, 04:06:51 AM
I've recently been having a wood worker handle the complete building of a pair of speakers. I'm so impressed with his attention to detail that I wanted to let you folks know he is available for projects you may have in mind. I'll send some pix to those interested and of course his contact info. He's located in the bay area, San Jose Ca. I know how difficult finishing a project can sometimes be especially the cabinet portion. So let me know fellow Bottleheads.
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

4krow

Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 04:18:37 AM
As a woodworker myself, I would be interested in seeing the completed project.  There have been many here that are simply amazing! I enjoy seeing something done right. Waaay too many 'nice' looking speakers are pretty junky underneath.

Offline John Roman

Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 05:24:14 PM
Hello Greg,
I'll have a chance  to check them out tomorrow. I'll post some pix of the ongoing work.
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline John Roman

Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 08:08:34 AM
I have a couple of pic's of a yet to be completed project. Just wanted to show you where it's at.
John

Regards,
John

4krow

Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 05:13:36 AM
John,   Is that wool or foam being used on the walls of the cabinet? I like the design. What kind of specs will it end up with?

Greg

Offline glynnw

Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 10:30:35 AM
Dude, all that stuff looks new.  Where is the carpet pad left over from the home addition?  Where is the 2X4 brace from the wood left over from the porch repair?  You shame me.

Looks fantastic.

PC, J River software, opticaRendu, Schitt Ygg DAC,Tortuga Pre, Torta Radu tube buffer, Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10, Spatial Audio X5w/pair of GR Research dual 12" open baffle servo subwoofers tamed by DSpeaker Dual-Core DSP , Audience AU24 SE  spkr cable, handmade silver interconnects,

Offline John Roman

Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 03:55:51 AM
Greg,
The foam on the back of the cabinet is an "egg crate like" 2 1/2"acoustic while  all other areas are covered with a more dense 1/2" acoustic both available from parts express. The bass bin driver is a 15" paper cone that is crossed at about 250 hz with an overall cabinet volume of 4.72 cubic feet. This design radiates from Dick Olsher, details of which can be found here: http://www.blackdahlia.com/html/tip_71.html
To say that this has been a long process would be an understatement as fellow Bottlehead Glynn W very well knows. He and I have moved along very similar paths in our attempts to bring Olsher's design to life. I will post more pix today as the raw cabinets are complete. Only things left are finish sand, stain and clear coat. Then I'll install the drivers and crossovers......whew!!!!
Glynn , you crack me up. More pix today.
John

Regards,
John

Offline John Roman

Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 10:21:50 AM
Just saw them this morning at the finish shop close to ready for stain and such. Here's some pix
John

Regards,
John

4krow

Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 05:23:18 AM
Good lord ma, we could be brothers. That design reminds me of the speakers that I just built about a year ago. Open baffle that is, for a single driver in my design. Still, am glad to see the design is one that is out of the box thinking. More fotos to come I hope as they progress.

Offline John Roman

Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 12:36:35 PM
They should be finished sometime next week. I will continue to post as progress is made. Thanks for the interest!
John

Regards,
John

Offline oldskool

Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 08:58:51 AM
Woodwork looks nice!

Can you post info on the woodworker and what he charges?  I'm looking for someone to build me an Altec 604e cabinet.  Feel free to message me the info as well.

Also - what type of wood are you using for that?

Thanks!