Noise in left channel of Crack-Addendum

mike_b · 4124

Offline mike_b

on: December 03, 2012, 07:35:48 AM
I discovered the noise problems I was having with my Crack.

Firstly, I was getting a little interference from my system-solved by moving the Crack forward.

Secondly, all my testing and resoldering eliminated any faulty solder joints and now the Crack is dead quiet.

Thirdly, the consistent screeching sound that I heard for three nights in the left channel disappeared when my snoring wife turned over in her sleep. My left ear is very sensitive and she is facing that way in bed behind me. Her snoring is very high-pitched and very rhythmic and my HD650 added it to the music I was listening to. Of course when I lowered the volume I still heard it at the same level. And with the magic of a strip of electrical tape I ....

In case you are wondering. She always goes to bed at the same time every night. I don't hear her go to bed when I am wearing my cans. She falls asleep in the same position while reading, her IPad is backlit so she does not use a lamp and begins her snoring around midnight when I begin hearing the "tube" noise for at least thirty minutes. I did not realize what was happening because the noise was soooo consistent. Talk about having a "DUH" moment.  

Seriously, the Crack is awesome and so is the feedback on this forum. If I had not removed my headphones on that third night I would continue guessing a noisy tube. Fortunately the tubes are burning in well and are really sounding smoothe and balanced.

Mike B.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 02:33:41 PM by mike_b »

Mike B.
Laid Back with Crack and that's a fact, Jack!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 08:10:05 AM
I wish there was a "Best Of" button on this forum!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 09:22:23 AM
Mike, that's classic!

Just electrical tape?  I keep a roll of duct tape handy for just such occasions :-).

Great story!

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)