New DAC in the house...

Jim R. · 14771

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 04:14:48 AM
Tom,

Well, can't argue with that priority list :-).

I'm going to finally fire up my new Orcas today -- first without the sub as I really want to hear what they can do in their new form with the LM Mini amp.  Maybe while my dad is here for the holidays I can get him to help me stuff some of the circuit boards so I can get at least the stereomour going soon.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 05:04:54 PM
Ok, found my proper digital cable, put it in from the transport and connected the dac first to both the ALO National and Continental portable amps and used the hd-800s first -- incredible!  Especially the Continental with the 800s -- extremely nice.  Then went back to the LM Mini, first with the hd-800s and then with the new Orcas, and again, just really, really impressive.  I didn't even have to rationalize anything with the fact that this dac only cost $360 -- it sounds great and just nothing I can really fault it on, and for any dac that's a major surprise for me.  I know Robert Harley said something about not the ultimate in bass extension and weight, but I certainly don't hear anything seriously missing there.  In fact, the bass kick with the hd-800s with the Continental and the LM mini was very, very good.

This is a definite keeper and it's so good I may buy another one for my nightstand headphone system.

If you're in the market for a sub-$500 dac, (and/or probably a good deal more than that) you do need to audition this dac.

Maybe usb and some hi-res tomorrow...

-- Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 04:24:02 AM
Maybe usb and some hi-res tomorrow...

Hi Jim,

Curiosity question. What are your impressions of the mydac playing hi-res via USB?

Thanks,
Tom

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 05:21:13 AM
Tom,

Sorry, I've not been able to get to this yet.  I was sick before Christmas, then had family here, then got real sick again and just late last night got sprung from a 6 day hospital stay.  It's also going to be awhile before I can get back to this.

Sorry,

Jim

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 05:49:19 AM
wow Jim - I hope you better!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 02:31:50 PM
Be well, Jim!

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 02:47:26 PM
Tom,

Sorry, I've not been able to get to this yet.  I was sick before Christmas, then had family here, then got real sick again and just late last night got sprung from a 6 day hospital stay.  It's also going to be awhile before I can get back to this.

Sorry,

Jim

Jim,

I hope you feel better soon.

BTW I hate hospitals!

-Tom

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 05:59:12 AM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the good wishes -- they do mean a lot to me.  Looks like I'm going to be lying low for another while here, but believe me, I really want to get this dac fully put through it's paces.  I'll probably go grab it and a mac mini and setup a headphone system on my nightstand as soon as I'm strong enough, which won't obviously be the same as the Orcas, but will still be a good test.

A happy, healthy, peaceful new year to all of you!

-- Jim

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 01:51:38 PM
Just make you think... We dont have much time left on this planet. Time to listen (Grateful Dead seems appropriate). Just cued up 'American Beauty'.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 03:44:49 PM
Just make you think... We dont have much time left on this planet. Time to listen (Grateful Dead seems appropriate). Just cued up 'American Beauty'.
Can't go wrong with The Dead.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 02:16:03 PM
Well, I'm making decent progress and may even get to trying out the usb connection and some hi-res stuff this weekend.

Then in a couple of weeks I should also be getting one of the new iFi iDACs -- along with the iUSBPower and the iCAN headphone amp -- my new bedside system, to be fed from either a 2010 mac mini or my christmas present, a new iPad Mini.  This too is supposed to be an exceptional dac, but with less connectivity options than the MyDAC.  Also has a built-in headphone amp.

-- Jim

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 05:37:51 PM
I ordered a mydac from music direct today. I'll be feeding it with my ALIX/Voyage Linux client. I'll post a mini review here after I get a few hours on the clock. Thanks for the heads up, Jim.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 02:59:36 AM
Tom,

Excellent!  I'll be really interested to hear how the dac works and sounds with the alix as a server as that is very likely how I'll eventually use mine.

-- Jim

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 11:02:29 AM
I got the MyDac today via FedEx. Flipped the USB switch to class 2 and plugged my silver USB cable from the ALIX. Then I queued up a list of various bitrates from 16/44 up to 24/192. All the songs played flawlessly. I didn't have to make any changes to my MPD configuration file so that was a plus. At this point I'm not going to comment on the sound. I just wanted to report that it works with the ALIX/VoyageMPD client. I will say however that I like what I hear so far. I'll follow up in a couple of weeks after things break in for a while. I can't wait to get my Orcas and subs next month!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 06:39:43 AM by Natural Sound »

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 05:31:00 PM
UPDATE: After just 4 listening sessions the MyDac I'd dead. The digital stream appears to be flowing but there is no audio. I put the original 16 bit NOS DAC back in place and my music is flowing again. The MyDac will be going back on an RMA tomorrow.