Question on power supplies for music server

glynnw · 11139

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 04:12:15 PM
. Of course, in my experience, while it doesn't take much design, implementation, and expense to make a supply that will out-perform any computer-SMPS, it does take something most of us mere mortals don't have to make a top-notch supply

It also takes quite a bit of space! 

If one needed a +12V, +5V, and +3.3V linear supply, I'd suggest at least two separate rails (5V and 3.3V aren't so far apart that they would have to be separate).  Choke filtering and shottky diodes are indeed a nice idea.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline gstew

Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 07:10:37 PM
It's a pointless idea.

Tim, that is not my experience... and I know others who would also disagree with you.

One difference on my setup from a 'server'... my DAC is inside the computer, mounted on the digital portion of an ESI Juli@ sound card. Both the soundcard and the DAC have their own power supplies and are not powered from the motherboard power, so they share grounds, but no power with the computer.

I originally used a supply with two 12v linear sections, one directly feeding the processor P4 plug, the other a PicoPSU for the 20-24 pin main ATX power connection. Now I have a fully linear supply, 2 12v rails, 2 5v rails, and 3.3v. Yup, as Paul says, it takes up a lot of space... about 4-6x that of the original computer SMPS. And it is much more inefficient and produces a good bit of heat (like these are serious problems for us who like tubes!). And I agree with Paul that choke-filtering is the way to go... planned for my next iteration, but it gets a lot bigger then and I have to replan my music player's packaging. It does have soft-recovery diodes... lots of them! These are key to the sonics, as are good regulators. And also, I did have to deal with computer turn-on sequencing and signaling, although that turned out to have some simple solutions.

I do know others who have done either hybrid linear-PicoPSU or fully linear supplies with SPDIF or USB-connected DACs and also found it worthwhile sonically. I've even know of battery-powered setups, but that's even beyond where I'll go... at least for now.

Having done this, I can say without any question that it is worthwhile if you want the best sound from a computer music setup, whether using the output from a DAC inside of the PC or an SPDIF or USB-connected one (whether it is powered by the USB buss or separately powered). The only setup I might expect it not to matter is when one has an ethernet-connected server to a player like a Squeezebox.

And to do a supply with a single 12v rail for the motherboard recommended for the CAPS V3, it would be a snap!

My suggestion... try it before you say it doesn't make a difference!

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. The attached picture is of my music server's linear supply during development. It got a bit more complex (and uglier!) as it got to its current, fully-operational state. It has been running mostly 24-7 for the last two years, so reliability is not an issue.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 07:14:39 PM by gstew »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 08:40:59 PM
That must have been a major PITA to build, nicely done!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 04:45:22 AM
Back up these claims with documented blind tests.  I've already said that the analog section should have a good power supply (and I still believe that it doesn't really matter), but to think the digital side powered by a switched mode power supply is going to taint the sound, that's just asinine.
Let it go ramico.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 05:49:40 AM
(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi130.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fp270%2Fjhpianist%2FDo-not-feed-the-troll.png&hash=2fca6b2c77375cfc19a91a5e505f58b1b3a99e18)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline gstew

Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 05:57:10 AM
Tim,

With all due respects, I am quite satisfied with the impact these supplies make on sound quality in my system and don't feel any need to prove that to you. If anything, I have understated the ways and magnitudes in which improvements in power supplies can have positive impacts on the sound quality of computer music setups.

I'm satisfied with the differences they make. I'm satisfied that you think it is "asinine",
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 06:01:51 AM by gstew »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 06:09:49 AM
A user on this forum was banned from posting due to the insulting tone of the posts. At that user's request I have removed all of their posts from the forum. This topic will remained locked. If the community wish to further discuss the original subject in a civil manner please start a new thread.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 09:41:04 AM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.