is there an easy way to sum the channels for mono?

denti alligator · 7969

Offline Brent

Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 08:28:45 AM
Paul,

Just to clarify:  are you saying one could leave the existing wiring as is, and just add a loop from T26 to T36 with a SPST switch in it?  Open = stereo, and closed = mono? That seems to be different from what Grainger is suggesting, and I want be sure before I do anything.  Also, my Seduction is from six or seven years ago--has the circuit and numbering been static since then, or do I need to adjust?  There is a post on the old BH forum on AA that suggests a switch connecting T29&T39, which is partly why I ask.

Thanks,
Brent

P.S. I hope this is okay to ask in this thread instead of starting another one.

Offline Brent

Offline Grainger49

Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 09:20:49 AM
Brent,

I just helped Denti Alligator through just this.  I can send you the instructions and the sketch I made if you like.

Offline Brent

Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 09:47:35 AM
Grainger, thanks.  PM sent.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 10:55:03 AM
It was a cinch. Thanks Grainger!

I have one related question: someone on another forum said he always switches his phono pre to mono for artificially made stereo recordings. So I'm thinking: will that really work? I mean, if I take a stereo pressing of Rubber Soul and switch my Seduction to mono (summing the channels), will it sound exactly like a mono pressing of Rubber Soul (since that was the original). This might convince me to get those new Beatles vinyl reissues!

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Grainger49

Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 10:59:50 AM
Yes, it works.  It is particularly handy with early Beatles stereo.  The four lads are in one speaker with all instrumentation in the other.  It is awful sounding without a mono switch.

However, the mono mix of early Beatles and stereo mix are different.  So you won't get the exact sound that the mono mix gives.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 11:16:16 AM
Paul,

Just to clarify:  are you saying one could leave the existing wiring as is, and just add a loop from T26 to T36 with a SPST switch in it?  Open = stereo, and closed = mono? That seems to be different from what Grainger is suggesting, and I want be sure before I do anything.  Also, my Seduction is from six or seven years ago--has the circuit and numbering been static since then, or do I need to adjust?  There is a post on the old BH forum on AA that suggests a switch connecting T29&T39, which is partly why I ask...
Yes.

Either set  (26/36 or 29/39) will work, but using 26/36 keeps the plate voltage out of the switch, reducing the chance of audible switch transients.

Paul Joppa

Offline denti alligator

Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 11:33:25 AM
However, the mono mix of early Beatles and stereo mix are different.  So you won't get the exact sound that the mono mix gives.

That's what I feared. Why oh why did they reissue the stereo mixes on vinyl??

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Grainger49

Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 01:47:06 PM
I believe the summed stereo will sound considerably better than the straight stereo.

Offline Brent

Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 05:30:20 PM
Thanks everyone for the help.

denti, FWIW, a Beatles mono vinyl box is supposedly to be released sometime in 2013. It would be nice if they'd release individual albums in mono too.  They didn't do that with the mono CDs though, so I'm not holding my breath.

Cheers,
Brent