220 OHM CARBON COMP. RESISTOR IN THE QUICKIE

coca · 3271

Offline coca

on: January 06, 2013, 04:19:18 PM
I have had my quickie kit for quite some time now, and I have started to work on it. I have read through the build instructions AND IT refers to the instalation of a 220 ohm carbon comp. resistor. I haven't checked as to where that resistor goes, and I do know that it is standard size and type that Bottlehead uses for a grid stopper. I can not find that resistor anywhere on the schematic.  Was it left out of the schematic inadvertently?

Thanks in advance.

Bernie.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 04:39:24 PM
The resistor is not on the schematic, but it is on the parts list and on page 25.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline proud indian

Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 09:11:54 PM
The resistor is not on the schematic, but it is on the parts list and on page 25.

-PB

What does that mean? Is there a place for it in the quickie or not??

shreekant

system 1. oppo, quickie,SEX 2.1 ( V cap), Decware DFR8 in ZOB cabs
System 2. Tascam cd200, Terra Dac,Zbox,Decware Zen amp(V cap) Lowther PM6A in Acousta horns.
Maple rack, Brass footers,Power conditioner, dedicated treated room, iso pads, plenty of tubes. All cables DIY.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 01:13:38 AM
Bottlehead uses 220 ohm CC resistors as grid stoppers and plate stoppers.  I'm not looking at the manual at the moment but they are always attached to the tube socket pins, as close to the tube pin as possible.  You cut the lead short and make a J out of it.  Crimp it to the tube pin, see page 25 for the pin, and solder.  Then to the terminal. 

This is a precaution against oscillations. 

Check the manual as Paul suggests you should see where they go.

Offline coca

Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 11:37:41 AM
Thanks guys. As Paul explained, there is no problem. I see where it goes re the manual. I was really enquiring about the schematic.

Bernie.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 11:57:43 AM
If you study the schematic and the build really carefully, there is another glaring difference (not the D-cell orientation mentioned elsewhere) that I didn't notice for quite some time.

In the end, that error actually made the PJCCS a possibility, so I wasn't beaten too brutally for it.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 02:15:43 PM
Thanks guys. As Paul explained, there is no problem. I see where it goes re the manual. I was really enquiring about the schematic.

Bernie.

I havent got to the level of being able to read a schematic yet. Thats my next project. I'm still a 'paint by numbers' DIY'er. The Quickie would be a good way to learn the skill though.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 05:15:50 PM
You probably  know more  than you think. After all you have done with the Quickie, you should know that schematic cold ...John

John Scanlon

Offline corndog71

Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 04:31:31 AM
It's been about 15 years since I started learning how to read a schematic and I'm still paint-by-numbers.  I think of the schematic as a map to how everything is connected.  I've learned a ton over the years and have built various projects but still don't understand all of the math behind everything.  I still don't understand the curve graphs of tubes.  My brother is offering to give me a spare oscilliscope. I look forward to learning how to use it. 

Bottlehead gear is a great way to learn the basics.  I also recommend building/rebuilding a Dynaco amp like the ST35, ST70 or a pair of Mk III's.  They can be a little intimidating at first but the more you play with them the more you'll learn and come to appreciate their simplicity. 

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline proud indian

Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 05:35:17 PM
It's been about 15 years since I started learning how to read a schematic and I'm still paint-by-numbers.  I think of the schematic as a map to how everything is connected.  I've learned a ton over the years and have built various projects but still don't understand all of the math behind everything.  I still don't understand the curve graphs of tubes.  My brother is offering to give me a spare oscilliscope. I look forward to learning how to use it. 

Bottlehead gear is a great way to learn the basics.  I also recommend building/rebuilding a Dynaco amp like the ST35, ST70 or a pair of Mk III's.  They can be a little intimidating at first but the more you play with them the more you'll learn and come to appreciate their simplicity. 

Why are you sounding like me??

shreekant :)

system 1. oppo, quickie,SEX 2.1 ( V cap), Decware DFR8 in ZOB cabs
System 2. Tascam cd200, Terra Dac,Zbox,Decware Zen amp(V cap) Lowther PM6A in Acousta horns.
Maple rack, Brass footers,Power conditioner, dedicated treated room, iso pads, plenty of tubes. All cables DIY.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 03:00:10 PM

Why are you sounding like me??

shreekant :)

I have heard that somewhere before....?

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.