Fostex FE83En

Wanderer · 5984

Offline Wanderer

on: January 11, 2013, 06:43:36 AM
I almost hate to ask. The Orcas look like beautiful, well made and fairly priced products. I certainly am not looking to steal thunder from a hard working bunch of people who deserve to make money by being of service to music and sound.

....BUT....in the spirt of DIY....has anybody fussed around with the Fostex FE83En in a home brewed system? How about the double bass reflex cabinet Fostex reccomends for them?           

Kevin R-M

Offline pjnestor

Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 10:25:38 AM
I've tried the FE126en drivers, which seem similar, though slightly larger.   First, I built a base reflex cabinet from plans on the Fostex site, but didn't like them.  They sounded flat, muted with weak base.  Then, I made a pair of folded horn cabinets using BK-12m plans from the Madisound site.  That was a big improvement and not difficult.  I currently using them in my office with a Stereomour and I think they do fine without a sub.

Pat

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 04:07:56 PM
I'm curious to see what other DIY builds people have done with this driver.  It would be fun to build my own and learn more about how good acoustics work.  I've come up with a concept schematic but I've yet to buy any parts.

Offline Wanderer

Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 03:44:31 AM
With the sub $80 price of admission they do look tempting to play with.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-3-fullrange/fostex-fe83en-3-full-range/

The FE126En based BK-12m gets my attention too.

Kevin R-M

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 10:50:59 AM
I don't have experience with this driver, but I've built the double bass reflex with the FX120. Placed fairly close to the wall, the bass performance is astonishingly good.

Best

Michael

http://zimmer64.wordpress.com

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 06:22:20 AM
Try the diyaudio.com forum. There are threads about this driver in a 6 litre box.

Mike

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles