Is it time...

BNAL · 5621

Offline BNAL

on: October 16, 2009, 11:56:43 AM
to put a link on the Bottlehead homepage for the new forum?

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 07:20:55 AM
It would help a lot of folks if there was an announcement on the other forum that it was closed with a link.

It took me a little to realize that.  Not long, mind you, but it wasn't obvious.

We just want all the participation we are used to.

Thanks Doc!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 08:24:18 AM
Did you read the top post on the old forum? I think I covered the details of transition there and posted a link to this one.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 11:10:54 AM
Probably just wasn't blunt enough for an old fart like me.  I did come over and post there about it. 

Possibly a change to the top post saying that that one is now closed and the link immediately.  I never could edit the title of a post but if you can you can change the title to "This old site is closed, Link to the new site."

Offline Keim

Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 02:21:44 PM
It would be nice if the forum link at Bottlehead.com got changed to come directly here.

Proud owner of modified Foreplay II, extended Paramour IIs, bi-wired Super Whamodyne speakers and a Seduction pre-amp.

Life is better at 33 and a third.

Offline Len

Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 04:43:15 PM
My opinion is that it is not obvious at all that the other forum was closed. (I discovered it when I tried to post on the old one about how great this one seems to be).

One reason is that Doc's original post did not mention that we should to post here. The edited post does say so. But those of us who read the original really had no reason to go back and see if there was an edit. At least not until we tried to post there.

Also, if a forum is closed, the subject line really should say something like "Forum Closed!" Casual visitors may look now and then to see if there is anything new, and figure nothing new is happening right now.

And since I just led with the jab and right cross, here is the uppercut: There are bottleheads out there who only look in on the forum every few months or so. There should be some kind of marker to let them know it moved, especially if you're considering taking down the archived site. I think at least an ad should be left running there to point them here or to bottlehead home.

Just me being opinionated again. I get that it might be stressful internally to be switching so fast. Maybe something happened that only allowed the ability for an edit instead of a reply saying that it was a done deal. It might be a good idea to send out a note with all kits being shipped indicating that there is a new forum. Maybe even an email blitz to that effect. I just don't want you guys to lose any business in the transition.

As an aside, I just don't get the audioasylum (Rod's?) POV. Both the Pi Speaker forum and the Bottlehead forum were huge draws to the asylum and helped all other advertisers there. Yet they won't give any breaks to those who helped build the asylum. Instead, they ensure that whoever considers starting something there realizes that when they leave, they will be treated badly. Not a good incentive to go there.

Ah, I feel better now.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 04:46:17 PM by Len »

Paramours
Paraglows
Excites
Heavily modded Soul Sister and Groove Thang
Quickie modded to active low pass filter
Quickie modded to headphone amp
Lots of Bottlehead parts used for building other stuff