slagel course/fine volume autoformer

Nutube · 2476

Offline Nutube

• AudioAddicted-RefuseRehab
on: January 12, 2013, 12:06:38 PM
Has anyone installed this volume attenuator in a foreplay 3.
will it work. ....I have a stock fp3 buildt by bottlehead for one of the ces shows....but always prefered the 1.5 steps and no resistors approach. I am seriously considering it since  each channel unit has 3 hookup wires. I currently position the fp3 vertically with the tranny on the lower side i.e. cables below and selectors and switches on top.
 On close scrutiny I will need to mount the units on top ( meaning a short side of the fp on the wood...leaving just the selector and then plug up the holes that the original volumes were. Unit is preassembled and tested. I figured this 3 wire per side swap maybe something even  I can handle  :-)http://
I will try to post a picture....

FP 1,2,3, Seduction, 45, Paramount 300B, Paraglow2A3; Dehavilland 845, Eico pp 805,Adcom 555 mono, Sota star saphire ugraded Nova motor & bearings,  Et 2.5 carbon wand on Shelter 901, Koetsu rosewood Sig., on magnesium wand, grado sumiko etc. Custom Edgarhorn with Seismic sub

Offline Nutube

Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 12:45:21 PM
quote from intact audio
These Autoformer modules operate in a slightly different manner than traditional linearly switched volume controls. Rather than using a single switch, two discrete switches are used to control the level. The switch on the left has 12 posiitons that are in 3.75dB increments. The switch on the right has 3 positions allowing +1.25dB, 0dB and -1.25dB modification of the overall level. By using this dual switch arrangement 1.25dB steps are possible. The total attenuation range goes from +1.25dB to -41.25 dB in 32 steps. The nature of the device skips the -3.75dB tap so the steps are +1.25, 0, -1.25, -2.5, -5, -6.25, -7.5...1.25db steps to -41.25 and off.

FP 1,2,3, Seduction, 45, Paramount 300B, Paraglow2A3; Dehavilland 845, Eico pp 805,Adcom 555 mono, Sota star saphire ugraded Nova motor & bearings,  Et 2.5 carbon wand on Shelter 901, Koetsu rosewood Sig., on magnesium wand, grado sumiko etc. Custom Edgarhorn with Seismic sub

Offline Frank Mena

Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 03:08:12 PM
Just out of curiosity ... are you installing the AVC at the output or the input of the Foreplay III?  I found  some references to using them at the output of the foreplay in the old board (now archived) but I'm sure that was for the Foreplay II.  Perhaps there is a photo of sorts in the old Archive on how this was done?( maybe the "wayback machine" can help)  Please keep us posted with photo's of your solution if you can.

Cheers
Frank M

Foreplay 2, Paramour with iron upgrade, Seduction, Theater 4 pi Speakers, DIY TT with Jelco 750 tonearm and Denon DL103R with cinemag steups

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 08:00:38 AM
If you can fit them in the chassis, they will work just fine at the input.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Nutube

Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 11:52:02 AM
frank
i am replacing the whole switch basically at the same location if i cant tug it in i will design a aluminium or brass strap, u shaped  drill 5 holes and have it above existing 3 black knobs. Since the slagle hasnt arrived I will wait and see
so, I guess to answer your Q. ...i am mounting themat the input. ?