Who Is In The Linear Tracking Club?

Grainger49 · 9436

Offline Chris

Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 03:36:37 PM
BNAL,  I agree with you in regards to your choice for entry level tables... I think you may well be satisfied for the time being while you search for your next level TT.... I like the fact that you get an arm and cartridge as well... so when you get it, its rock and roll time immediately!!... and I also  agree with the VPI scout post.. I heard the scout with the "unipivot" arm again at the London hifi show.. it was retailing for 1100 uk pounds which was quite a deal.. All I know was the German distributor guy who was demoing was SUPER excited about it... The table sounded real nice, however, we cant AB anything at the hifi shows of course so , it is tough to evaluate in those conditions... but a scout is a good "used" option also....

Offline Chris

Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 03:47:51 PM
Yes BNAL, an MMF 2.2 for around $450 is tough to beat for a starter TT... AND you can outfit it with one of these FINE Hello Kitty! cartridges!!...... :)

Offline Chris

Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 07:18:03 AM
Ok, here is mine... It is even included in Wikipedia, and there is an example on permanent display at the Museum of  Modern Art.....

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 07:31:46 AM
I had one of the Mitsubishi vertical turntables with the linear tracking arm many years ago. I found it to be average sounding and exceptionally finicky. Also had a Marantz SLT-12 for a while. Didn't knock me out either. Had a very strange system of swinging weights that lifted the arm at the inner groove or something, IIRC. Neither of these tables had a great cartridge, so they probably didn't get a fair shake.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Wanderer

Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 07:41:08 AM
I was not aware the Technics was at MoMA 

I was aware of the B&O 4002

http://www.moma.org/collection/object.php?object_id=86311

Don't own one - used to sell them back in the day. Like little girls with curls "when they are good they are very very good and when they are bad...."

Would not want to try to fix one.  There is an awful lot going on under the hood.   

Kevin R-M

Offline Grainger49

Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 09:10:33 AM
Chris,

That is my table but his base is black.  It looks exactly like my arm except mine is one generation newer.  I also put the Rega/Cardas/Incognito upgrade arm wiring on mine.

Here is what it looks like:

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi244.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fgg7%2FGrainger49%2FOther%2520Audio%2FIMG_0852_zps41362553.jpg&hash=099e49c55c002f31a16df6bee9aed8a9a88229fd)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 03:33:04 AM by Grainger49 »

4krow

Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 12:22:00 PM
A very long time ago, my friend was going through some difficult times in his marriage. During an especially bad fight, his wife picked up his B&O straight line tracking TT and yes, SLAMMED it to the floor. Got his attention. The divorce soon followed.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 01:02:39 PM
I think the first SLT I ever saw and knew much about was the B&O.  The first made was the Marantz SLT-12 Dan mentions.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 04:04:21 PM
A very long time ago, my friend was going through some difficult times in his marriage. During an especially bad fight, his wife picked up his B&O straight line tracking TT and yes, SLAMMED it to the floor. Got his attention. The divorce soon followed.

Hey Greg - Its funny that you remember that, probably like it was yesterday.

I remember something like that, from 1975, when my college roommate was gone for the weekend at home with his main high school squeeze. I had tried to hook up a DIY 'synthesizer' that I built from a kit (my first kit actually).  There was a 'short' somewhere, or something of that type, in that it caused a huge spike of output power from the SAE 200wpc separate amp pre-amp to my Speakerlabs (I owned the speakers, my roommate owned the amp). The short 'blast' was deafening. I thought the speakers were 'gone'. It turns out they were ok. Several friends were present and we each looked at each other, and didnt say anything. It was shocking. The protection circuitry on the amp shut it down to avoid damage, and all was well.

I though that was that, but someone told my roommate about the 'incident'. I had some explaining to do. He was not happy! One of those audio traumas I will never forget. I think, him finding out about it was more traumatic than the incident itself. We love our gear!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Chris

Reply #24 on: January 31, 2013, 09:15:32 AM
That is a beautiful setup you have Grainger... And what an immaculately clean LP also.. the wood body of your Sonata looks gorgeous, I will try to obtain 1 myself...

And Earwaxxer... I always take immaculate care of my gear, always have.. In the mid 80s, when i was returning home for my first college break... I pulled the cartridge from my SL-10 so my roommate couldnt play it...... When  I came back, wow, he was not real happy i did that... He, apparantly, was looking forward to using it... hahaha  The stereo was my baby, and I just didnt want to return and find KFC chicken grease all over the volume knob etc....

Offline Chris

Reply #25 on: January 31, 2013, 09:21:30 AM
Yeah Doc, I know the mitsubishi TT you are talking about, have to give them credit for the guts to produce what really has to be a "novelty" product at best.. Especially when there were already TTs like the  SL-10 that were serious feats of engineering.. And very reliable to boot....

Offline balancedtriode

Reply #26 on: February 09, 2013, 04:12:06 AM
I just fixed a Mitsubishi LT turntable for a friend, too bad he listens to junk on it.(I have seen it go for about $1k on ebay)
as for me I have a Revox B795 TT if I ever get around to fixing it!

Thorens TD-160 Custom(rebuilt by me) with SME 3009 arm
Bottlehead Seduction
Extended Foreplay-III (build underway)
Stereomour Power Amp conversion (Heavily Modded)
Klipsch Cornwalls' with Vertical Horns

Offline Grainger49

Reply #27 on: February 09, 2013, 05:24:31 AM
Coltrane,

I have a buddy locally who was given two complete tables.  He was using the standard table but I encouraged him to get his Revox SLT up and running.  He is a mechanical whiz and I gave a minor kibitz for the electrics.  He won't swap back now.  The Revox is the big rig table now.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 06:52:13 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Paully

Reply #28 on: February 09, 2013, 10:44:06 AM
Here's mine.  And if it looks exactly like a previous post, we know why!  Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Offline Chris

Reply #29 on: February 09, 2013, 05:14:31 PM
Sweet....