Operating Point of 12AT7

rlyach · 11887

Offline rlyach

Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 03:39:20 AM
I wish I had a completed amp and an oscilloscope before I post this but... Something has been bothering me all night. The output voltage limitation of the B+ seems to only allow for a 30V swing on the plate with respect to GND. Then I remembered something. As part of my job I work with switching power supply circuits, buck and boost regulators. A Boost regulator energizes an inductor and disconnects it from the energizing load. The result is that the inductor voltage rises many times above the input voltage. I think (don't be too harsh on me if I am wrong) that the plate voltage on this circuit will actually go above the B+ voltage for the AC signal. Using a choke as the plate load acts as a boost circuit. The inductor is energized at the DC bias point and when the tube shuts off the inductor continues to supply current and the plate voltage can rise above the B+ supply. If this is true, it is a wonderful reason to use a choke load. It extends the usable range of the tube. Then the loadline will actually get closer to the 4.1W theoretical value. Hence, a 3.5W amplifier. Whew...

Now, for the output transformer. Since the input signal to the first stage is 2 V p-p at 20uA, and the output to the speaker will be several volts at 100's of miliamps, The gain of the amplifier can't be calculated based on the output voltage alone. As the voltage in the transformer is stepped down, the current is stepped up! I think... that calculating the gain at the input side of the transformer may be correct but it will need to be adjusted for transformer efficiency.

I hope I did not just make a fool of myself.

Randy
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 04:13:43 AM by rlyach »

Randy Yach

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #31 on: February 01, 2013, 05:39:11 AM
You are correct about the plate choke and that the AC signal on the plate can pop up above B+, as there is magnetic energy stored in the coil and the entire piece of iron functions in the DC realm much like a resistor, but in the AC realm the impedance presented is much higher, but also depends a bit on frequency (inductance on the low end, capacitance on the high end).

If you know the power output at the speaker terminals and the impedance that this power is made into, then you have your current number as well, and you could actually work backwards to solve for the unknowns.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline rlyach

Reply #32 on: February 01, 2013, 06:21:51 AM
Now this design is starting to make sense. The whole thing fits together incredibly. The 12AT7 at the front end (mu 60) gives approximately a +/- 60v swing which feeds the 2A3 biased at -60V, utilizing the entire operating range of the 2A3 in AC (0 to -120v). I know you can never really get to 0V because of grid current. This design is amazing. It looks so simple but there is so much behind it. In order to do more calculations with the output load I will make use of the 22:1 turns ratio. Also knowing that at 8 ohm output I get 4K ohm input, I should be able to derive all the specs of the transformer (at least for an 8 ohm hookup). I am still having trouble figuring out how to represent the gain of the entire amp. Thanks for all the patience in helping me walk through this design in detail. All the analysis is allowing me to get so much more out of this build.

Randy Yach

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #33 on: February 01, 2013, 06:36:30 AM
Randy,

Yeah man -- good stuff.  The magnetics are also very impressive (even more so when you consider that they also work in the s.e.x. amp).

And not at all unlike the Orcas -- deceptively simple, but far more to it than meets the eye.  No wonder they work so well together.

You're in for a real treat when it all comes together.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #34 on: February 01, 2013, 08:23:53 AM
The magnetic effect of the plate load (allowing instantaneous voltage to exceed the power supply voltage) works exactly the same in series feed, and in push-pull, where the inductance of the output transformer supplies the energy.

As for gain, audio amplifiers are usually specified for voltage gain, and separately for maximum power into a given load. On the Community page, I have a white paper on the subject of signals and noise, which illustrates the problems with that approach...  :^)

Paul Joppa

Offline rlyach

Reply #35 on: February 01, 2013, 09:13:58 AM
Paul,

That make sense now that I think about it. Now for the final chart. Using the transformer ratio of 22:1 I calculated the actual load at 3872 ohms. Then I got picky and added subdivisions to the graph for better estimations. Plotting the new loadline against the JJ published datasheet for the 2A3 you get the following:

Operating point: Vgk=-59, Ip=49mA, Vp=299V.
Max power: 5.28W
Max distortion: 3.68%

Now, if we use the rated power of 3.5 watts and draw new limits we get:

Max power: 3.5W
Max distortion: 1.85%

This also shows that at 3.5 watts there is a 10 volt guardband on the grid of the 2A3. Very safe operation! Now all we have to do is bump the numbers up for the losses in the transformer. If I assume 3.5W out of the transformer I get 5.29vrms at .661 amps. That converts to 7.5V peak. Then using the winding ratio the input needs to swing 165V plus losses, and we have 310V from the plate. There is an impedance divider formed by the parafeed cap and the transformer which will divide this down, and this is also frequency dependent. If I had the resistance, capacitance and inductance of the output transformer I could probably calculate the efficiency of the transformer. Still too many unknowns.

UPDATE: Changed graph to reflect Paul's comment.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 12:47:43 PM by rlyach »

Randy Yach

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #36 on: February 01, 2013, 10:22:25 AM
Yes, transformers are amazingly complex beasts, given how simple they appear to be!

The actual turns ratio is smaller, about 20 for the OT-2 if I recall correctly. The losses due to resistance of the wire are around 0.5dB - again, if I recall correctly - and those resistances add to the reflected load resistance to get the effective actual primary impedance. There are losses due to eddy current in the steel laminations, and losses due to hysteresis of the magnetic properties as well. The last two appear as a shunt resistance, lowering the actual effective impedance.

I'll run out of room if I try to get into leakage inductance, winding capacitance, primary inductance (varies with both signal level and frequency), skin effect in both wire and laminations, insulation dieectric properties, etc. So I won't.  :^)

Incidentally, your power number seems a bit high. Because the output signal is distorted, the positive peak is different from the negative, so you have to look at the peak-to-peak voltage (or current) to get a good estimate. I see 460v-92v = 368v pk-pk. Divide V-squared by (8 times load impedance) to get power, closer to 4.5 watts.

Paul Joppa

Offline rlyach

Reply #37 on: February 01, 2013, 10:42:01 AM
Paul,

Yes, If I use the full distorted signal Vp-p I get 4.37W. The website I used to tutor myself on triode curves only used half of the wave to calculate max power. I think the reasoning is that it is the worst case since the high current side is larger in magnitude than the low current side, but as you point out, it is a little unrealistic. I think I will save myself a lot of time and not dig into transformer theory any deeper. I am already dreaming about this stuff. By the way... Are the iron upgrades (nickle) at magnaquest for the paramour applicable to the Stereomour? I don't really need to spend more money but maybe in the future???

Randy Yach