Extra space

johnsonad · 6089

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 10:32:46 AM
Thanks folks, and sorry if I sounded crabby.
Not at all, Doc. I think we all need reminding of this fundamental recommendation on occasion. It's all too easy to get carried away sometimes. Being dragged back to the basics is a necessity at times. I'm a big believer in KISS. In fact that is one of the things that draws me toward your awesome products.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 01:26:37 PM
On second thought, if the choke was the right size, it might sit better on top of the chassis plate right outboard of the transformer with a bushed through-hole for the wires - granted, it would be safer under, but could be insulated or covered to mitigate the risk.

This is the distance I am talking about. On top of the plate, to the left and right of the transformers, the distance from the transformer to the edge of the plate. I was thinking of the Hammond 158m which is 2" wide.

I love the discussion but the original thread starting question hasn't been answered  :) :)

Aaron Johnson

Offline xcortes

Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 04:01:35 PM
Aaron, there's 45mm from the chassis edge to each transformer.

Ha! It looks like my Hammond 157M won't fit. I'm being punished for building non stock first!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 04:18:06 PM by xcortes »

Xavier Cortes

Offline johnsonad

Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 07:10:39 PM
Thanks Xavier :)

The 157m is 1.75 inches wide (by the product sheet) and there is 1.77 inches of space available. They should fit but it will be tight.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 02:37:51 AM by johnsonad »

Aaron Johnson

Offline caffeinator

Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 07:43:56 AM
Don't forget that the 157M is a channel frame style choke, so the base is in the middle of that 1.75 inches.  In other words, if mounting on top of the chassis, you can gain some separation from the power transformer by letting the bobbin overhang the edge of the chassis.  If mounting under, you would, of course, have to relieve the base to add clearance to move it over.  Also, if mounting under, remember the transformer doesn't go as far outboard as the stack does on the topside - it might be that the choke bobbin flanges would land in between things under the transformer and allow placement without a base relief pocket.