Eros build question

rockpassion · 2192

Offline rockpassion

on: November 29, 2012, 02:52:15 PM
Hello all,

I have been building my recently acquired Eros phono preamp and I have a question about the capacitors on the Power Supply PC board.  I was looking for 2 - 0.1 uf 630v metalized polypropylene capacitors, they are red in the instructions.  I received two Solen 1.00 uf 630v metalized polypropylene capacitors.  Can these be used or did I get the wrong value capacitors. 

Otherwise, the build is going slowly but surely.  The instructions are great and the visuals have really helped, kudos to you Doc for the excellent instructions.   I am hoping to get this done by next week as I am getting excited about hearing this in my system. 

Thanks for any help that might be provided and thanks to Eileen for getting out a couple of missing parts as fast as she did. 

Regards

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 03:17:01 PM
The 1.0uF are output caps.

Paul Joppa

Offline rockpassion

Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 04:02:07 PM
Paul,

So what I need is a couple of 0.1 if 630v metalized polypropylene capacitors,  they are marked as F104K or 0.1 uFJ on the parts list. They are shown as being red in the Eros instructions.

Thanks for the timely response.

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline najo49

Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 05:50:04 AM
The red caps are probably clarity caps,and believe me the solen are the better.bottlehead used clarity for a while.

Jann Olsen, [email protected].  Lowther medallion 2 with pm2a./ extended foreplay lll,/EROS phono /Grado ref/ SOTA star Vacuum SME V, /  45 amp direct coupled,c4s,mQ nickel  / paramour  2a3 w MQ iron /Original SEX monos /Jena Cables /heathkit wm6a/ proAc Tablette 50 sig , with push pull

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 06:34:39 PM
Sorry, I didn't read carefully enough -on the PSU board you said. That's the RC snubber for stability; it's not super-critical but should be within 30% of the design value 0.1uF. There's no signal current in it, so it doesn't need to be particularly linear but should have decent HF performance. A little ESR at high frequencies is also OK - so mylar or polypropylene or even the better ceramics are acceptable.

Paul Joppa